Cardiff City Club Statement | Nathaniel Mendez-Laing

QuantumMechanic

Wales Call Up
Reaction score
Reactions
459 184 9
Credits
City could have a clause in their contracts that they must not to be in a criminal court case, whether found guilty or not :sherlock:
That presumes it's court case related. There are numerous circumstances it could be.

For example, fail drugs test, 1 yr left on contract, expect to receive a lengthy ban then he's unable to provide services.

Ex City youth Josh Yorwerth got what a 4 yr ban?

Travis Bickle

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
👌👌👌 1000 PAGER 👌👌👌
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🏅 LIFETIME
ACHIEVEMENT 🏅
I ❤ NEIL HARRIS
🔥 500,000th POST 🔥
Reaction score
Reactions
73,220 726 51
Credits
That presumes it's court case related. There are numerous circumstances it could be.

For example, fail drugs test, 1 yr left on contract, expect to receive a lengthy ban then he's unable to provide services.

Ex City youth Josh Yorwerth got what a 4 yr ban?
I was answering a previous post regarding judicial actions, I should have linked it

QuantumMechanic

Wales Call Up
Reaction score
Reactions
459 184 9
Credits
Yorwerth got a 4 yr ban - which is the ban for a first PED offence.

Not saying that's what has happened with NML, but if it has, then his value to us is the square root of f**k all which would explain instant termination and at his age basically career over.

bluethrough

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Reaction score
Reactions
21,176 414 31
Credits
Yorwerth got a 4 yr ban - which is the ban for a first PED offence.

Not saying that's what has happened with NML, but if it has, then his value to us is the square root of f**k all which would explain instant termination and at his age basically career over.

Keep seeing this PED offence being mentioned and was thinking that's bloody serious. Anyway thanks to google I now know it's a drug offence and nothing to do with young children

Apologies to NML

TH63

_______
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
PICKEM 18/19 - 1st Place
PICKEM World Cup 2nd
Reaction score
Reactions
34,110 1,040 107
Credits
I'm hearing it was a drive-by spudding

Woody

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
Reaction score
Reactions
5,902 753 9
Credits
FFS, I've just done and hour and 20 minutes solid work, come back here and we still don't know what happened?

JJBlueDraggon

Player of the Month
Neil Harris No. 1 Fan
Reaction score
Reactions
294 10 4
Credits
To get a transfer fee back for a player, you need to have a buyer. If nobody wants to buy a player what do you do? Offer a lump sum which is usually less than the overall salary to get them to go and find a club for themselves. Means still take a hit on the wages but less than if they waited contract out.

Etheridge? Before Smithies took over, anyone saying he should be sold would've been lynched... Mid season, Day had been loaned out so selling Etheridge would have left us with no cover.
But some of those players did have market value that's the point. Take Guido Burgstaller as a example. We paid him off and he left by mutual consent. I believe 18 months later he got a big move to Shalke and was banging in the goals in the Bundesliga.

BLUE TUESDAY

FORUMS ADONIS
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⌚ GOALTIME WINNER ⌚
😈 Prince of Darkness 😈
I ❤ NEIL HARRIS
WEED CLUB
Reaction score
Reactions
10,476 175 8
Credits
FFS, I've just done and hour and 20 minutes solid work, come back here and we still don't know what happened?
70 % of theories are drug related
30 % of theories are saying hes Tyler durdun :hehe:

QuantumMechanic

Wales Call Up
Reaction score
Reactions
459 184 9
Credits
But some of those players did have market value that's the point. Take Guido Burgstaller as a example. We paid him off and he left by mutual consent. I believe 18 months later he got a big move to Shalke and was banging in the goals in the Bundesliga.
And again, what is the market value? A random value a website claims?

Burgstaller was surplus to requirements / wanted out. What offers did we receive for him? If the answer is zero, then what was his market value to us at the time? Nothing. We could have kept him to the terms of his contract, taking up space on the wage will for a player surplus to requirements / wanting out.

He went to Schalke for the same fee we paid apparently - £1.35m - which doesn't suggest his value necessarily improved after leaving up. Schalke could easily have picked him up by making a similar offer to us... but failed to do so. Banging goals in for Schalke? Not really. 24 in 95 overall league games there sounds good, but his record for 19/20 was 21 games, 0 goals...

Eat Y'self Fitter

Kicker Conspiracist
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
PICKEM 17/18 - 1st Place
Reaction score
Reactions
21,768 754 83
Credits
From today's press conference with Neil Harris..

Any more light on Mendez-Laing?
"Firstly, I am happy to try and answer as much as I can but I have to be very careful due to legal purposes.

"I can confirm that Nathaniel’s contract was terminated because of a serious breach of contract and that’s all I can say.

"I can’t add any more to it at the moment.

"Time will tell if anything else can be announced, but I am bound by legal protocols."

Were you part of the decision?
"I was. The severity of it, I was consulted. I have an excellent relationship with the board and the owner.

"It is a football club decision and I am a part of the club.

"Yes [I am comfortable with it]."

Have you spoken to him?
"I’ve not spoken to him over the last 48 hours but I had a great working relationship with him and my working relationship goes beyond the training pitch.

"I speak to them on the phone about on-field matters and off-field matters.

"Mendy, I spoke to him in weeks gone by but not the last 48 hours."

Is this a decision taken over a period of time or last few days?
"It’s a decision that hasn’t been taken lightly, it’s a serious decision.

"A lot of thought has gone into it but ultimately a decision was taken for the best interest of Cardiff City Football Club."

Is your door open to him?
"Yeah. Danny Ward left us in the summer and I got on extremely well with him. Players I managed at Millwall.

"People need someone to lean on and advise. With Mendez, yes the door will always be open."

Club has a duty of care, no alternative than sacking?
"A decision has been made, one that is best for the football club and its supporters.

"I can’t say anymore. I will feel like I’m stepping over the boundaries if I do."

PFA involved?
"Of course, the PFA represent players and they are a voice of reason. They are always there to offer advice and support to their players and played a big part of this.

"They were informed and part of it."

SloopJB

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
Reaction score
Reactions
1,367 26 1
Credits
I am going for failed drug test pre season..
SJB

Travis Bickle

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
👌👌👌 1000 PAGER 👌👌👌
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🏅 LIFETIME
ACHIEVEMENT 🏅
I ❤ NEIL HARRIS
🔥 500,000th POST 🔥
Reaction score
Reactions
73,220 726 51
Credits
Clubber Laing :shrug2:

BSP

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Reaction score
Reactions
15,187 241 27
Credits
Are footballers randomly drug tested? It’s never occurred to me before. I mean I’m assuming our lot haven’t been taking anything performance enhancing. They want to have a word with their dealer if they have.

Come to think of it, maybe that’s it, maybe the players are all angry with NML for bunk deals, that’s why he’s been sacked.

philstantsrifle

Player of the Month
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
Reaction score
Reactions
311 107 2
Credits
Are footballers randomly drug tested? It’s never occurred to me before. I mean I’m assuming our lot haven’t been taking anything performance enhancing. They want to have a word with their dealer if they have.

Come to think of it, maybe that’s it, maybe the players are all angry with NML for bunk deals, that’s why he’s been sacked.
yeah, they are. Rio Ferdinand skipped a test back in the mid 2000’s - obviously been on the sniff - and copped a several month ban. Those tests are policed vigorously. But that was all played out in public.

Mendez has to have done something to upset the old bill. He’s high profile, and so any leak could prejudice a trial. That’s why I suspect it’s all very hush hush. The club have sacked him so they must feel it’s cut and dried.