Double Slit Interference Question

D

deleted

This is about lasers, you have an input beam of frequency f1, and two output beams of frequency fi and fs, whereas f1 and fs must be in phase.

As to the thought experiment, its applying the classical model to the probabilistic nature of all mass/energy

Steve Lewis

First Team Debut
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
Credits
whoops.JPG

Don't think I'm getting a response

Worse

Ballon d'Or Winner
☢ TITANIUM VIP ☢
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Lecter Wrangler
Credits
whoops.JPG

Don't think I'm getting a response

Spam? What were you doing with a tin of compressed processed meat?

You do realise, that you've become one of the most interesting posters that we've ever had on this board.

:hehe:

stantys tattoos

never sober
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🗐 200 PAGER 🗐
PICKEM 21/22 WINNER
PICKEM 19/20 WINNER
GTA 22/23 WINNER
~LMS Belarus~
₡ BOOKIES ₡
🔥 FIREMAN STANT 🔥
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ JASON PERRY
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Credits
200.gif

D

deleted

1) There's an article that refers to “idler” and “signal” photons. Are these fundamentally different in any way, or is it just shorthand so we don’t have to say “the photon that reaches the interference screen” and “the photon that reaches the which-path detectors”?
they are different photons. The laser (light amplification by simulated emission of radiation) fires a beam of photons of a certain wavelength, and through interference the beam emits two further photons, one idler and one signal.
2) My thought experiment uses a screen that you can just look at to observe the interference pattern but the the article refers to “detector D0, which can be scanned by a step motor along its x-axis for the observation of interference fringes”, so let’s use a detector like D0 for my system. What kind of graph would be generated if we removed the half-silvered mirrors, and let all the idler photons be detected by detectors that would definitely provide the which-path information for every single idler photon?
this thought experiment has been done to death in many different guises, but it brings Heisenberg and Pauli together very neatly. To put it simply, you're trying to apply classical particle theory to photons which aren't hadrons but bosons

JAMIECCFC

Cymru am byth
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
:bennywtf::benny::heh:

Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Indy Wales
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
GTAM WINNER
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
this thought experiment has been done to death in many different guises, but it brings Heisenberg and Pauli together very neatly. To put it simply, you're trying to apply classical particle theory to photons which aren't hadrons but bosons

It might be my age but I'm struggling to maintain a hadron when I see a pair of bosons these days.

Wavey

Banned
Ballon d'Or Winner
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
Electronics goes straight over my head and hat's off to anyone that can make sense of it. Was schooled in the BA way of doing things. If it don't work, hit it with a hammer, and if still don't work get a bigger hammer, and if still no joy then get an FBH -won't work but at least you told it who's boss

lardy

biggest fucking hypocrite on the internet
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Fantasy Football 21/22
Fantasy Football 18/19
Credits
Disappointed this thread hasn't turned racist if I'm honest.

TH63

Wolfpack Leader
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏃 500 PAGER 🏃
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
PICKEM 18/19 - 1st Place
👂 Trusted Listener 👂
🐺 WOLFPACK 🐺
Credits

lardy

biggest fucking hypocrite on the internet
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Fantasy Football 21/22
Fantasy Football 18/19
Credits
I knew Feedback would help with the double slit interference problem.

:om:

ViewFromAfar

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
Credits
Yeah I watched those and his three part series about chemistry and the elements, both series were really interesting and Jim’s presentation was spot on:thumbup: I think they may still be on Catchup on BBC4
A Thread re double slits and no photos Trav? You're slipping mate! :nope:

NumberAde

Ballon d'Or Winner
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
✪✪✪ CHAMPION ✪✪✪
PICKEM 20/21 WINNER
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
💩 CRAP JOKE 2022 💩
Credits
This is about lasers, you have an input beam of frequency f1, and two output beams of frequency fi and fs, whereas f1 and fs must be in phase.

As to the thought experiment, its applying the classical model to the probabilistic nature of all mass/energy

You say that now, but what will you say when you change your mind.

See that lads, he won't get back from that. LOGIC!

Worse

Ballon d'Or Winner
☢ TITANIUM VIP ☢
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Lecter Wrangler
Credits
I have a really straightforward (I think) question regarding the effect(s) of obtaining the which-path information of photons that have travelled through a double slit and are hitting a photosensitive screen. In the thought experiment, all the photons arriving at the screen have entangled twins which simultaneously arrive at which-path detectors that are either ON or OFF. The set up is super-simple but I can’t find this particular configuration - so not sure if it would actually work. Main Question or Discussion Point A laser provides a constant stream of photons which pass through a double-slit. The photon stream emerging from each slit then passes through a crystal which splits each photon into coherent entangled pairs. One photon from each pair heads towards a photosensitive screen and the entangled twin travels toward one of two detectors (one for the left slit, one for the right slit). When the detectors are switched to the ON position, the which-path information for each photon (and its entangled twin) can be obtained. In this case, all photons behave as particles and do not interfere with one another. The pattern formed on the photosensitive screen does not exhibit a wave-interference pattern (no light and dark bands). When the detectors are switched to the OFF position the which-path information for each photon (and its entangled twin) is completely lost. In this case, all photons behave as waves and interfere with one another. The pattern formed on the photosensitive screen exhibits light and dark bands (standard wave-interference pattern).

So basically, assuming 100% conversion of photons to entangled pairs, can an apparatus such as this be constructed/operate such that someone can, in real time, and only by observing the photosensitive screen, know whether the detectors are in the ON or OFF position? :shrug:

You got shush it up a bit mate. It's lacking swearing. abuse, insults and sexual innuendos. It ain't ever going to fly with this lot unless you sex up this dossier. I should know I have to shine turds on here to get some response. It's only a suggestion, but try and work in a few good football phrases as well. I don't know why, but they seem to go down quite well on here. Another thing, add a few photos of tits, no sparrows mind you, just tits.
Well I've done my best for you, the rest is up to you.

:thumbup:

TH63

Wolfpack Leader
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏃 500 PAGER 🏃
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
PICKEM 18/19 - 1st Place
👂 Trusted Listener 👂
🐺 WOLFPACK 🐺
Credits
You got shush it up a bit mate. It's lacking swearing. abuse, insults and sexual innuendos. It ain't ever going to fly with this lot unless you sex up this dossier. I should know I have to shine turds on here to get some response. It's only a suggestion, but try and work in a few good football phrases as well. I don't know why, but they seem to go down quite well on here. Another thing, add a few photos of tits, no sparrows mind you, just tits.
Well I've done my best for you, the rest is up to you.

:thumbup:
This from the bloke who only talks about one thing.

Activity
No activity at the moment...

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now