Euro 2020 headlines as 'nightmare' verdict delivered on Cardiff City star, Page's rage and France tipped to struggle

Cardiff City ForumOff TopicFun BetsShopLocal Business

AutoPoster

First Team Debut
Reaction score
Reactions
Credits
The latest Euro 2020 news headlines from the Wales camp and beyond

0_JS231480464.jpg

Moore verdicts delivered

Joe Ledley believes Kieffer Moore must start for Wales at the Euros.

The striker has started just two of his country's eight games since Rob Page took over from Ryan Giggs in November last year.

It comes after the Cardiff City forward transformed Wales' qualifying campaign in 2019 - with Moore playing a key role in the latter stages as the Red Dragons went five games unbeaten in the qualification process after losing to Croatia and Hungary.

And Ledley says the 28-year-old must be deployed from the outset at every opportunity this summer.

"I personally am a massive fan of him, I would go with Kieffer Moore up front, all the time," Ledley told 5Live Sport.

"He can bring people into play like Aaron [Ramsey], [Gareth] Bale. Not just that, he's quick. He'd be a defender's nightmare.

"I would start with Kieffer in every game."

Moore netted 20 Championship goals in his debut season with Cardiff ahead of the European Championships.

And while many have called for Moore to get the nod against Switzerland on Saturday, Hal Robson-Kanu believes Wales will alternate between using a striker and a false nine at the Euros this summer.

"They're looking at that false nine. It's a solution which is maybe what's needed and is going to unlock defences but is also going to give a level of security within the team out of possession," he explained.

"I think, going into these tournaments, you want to be on the front foot. You don't want to be playing in a defensive way where you're almost setting up not to have the ball.

"When you have a number nine up top who can really affect the opposition, and that's not necessarily with the ball, it's without the ball which is as important, if not more important.

"Ultimately, having a number nine up there is going to offer that. I think throughout the course of the tournament, we're going to see both."

Page's rage revealed

Chris Mepham has revealed Rob Page was furious in the dressing room at half-time of Wales' 0-0 draw against Albania last weekend.

The hosts were timid in the opening half at Cardiff City Stadium and failed to create any clear cut chances against a side ranked 49 places below them by FIFA.

"He [Page] was fuming to be fair, as all of us were in the changing room," admitted Mepham.

"We knew it wasn’t working and we weren’t anywhere near our best.

"Pagey said at half-time that the biggest cheer from the home crowd came when we pressed and forced them into the corner."

Wales changed from a 3-4-3 shape to a 4-2-3-1 formation for the second half and were much improved with Moore as a focal point.

And Bournemouth defender Mepham believes Wales will be able to use either system when it comes to facing the likes of Switzerland, Turkey and Italy this month.

"It's something that I've played in both, for club and country. You look at the first half against Albania, we started in a five and then second half we went to a back four," explained the defender.

"At club level, the first half of the season we pretty much played a back five at Bournemouth, then second half went to a four.

"I know the benefits of both and I know how different they are. But, I think ultimately, no one knows [which formation will be used], time will tell.

"I think a lot of the lads have played in both so I think everyone will be well equipped for whichever one gets selected."

Spain players to receive pre-tournament Covid-19 vaccine

Spain's squad will be given the coronavirus vaccine ahead of this summer's Euros.

It comes after Sergio Busquets and Diego Llorente both tested positive for Covid-19 and had to be removed from La Roja's training camp and placed into isolation.

The squad returned a full round of negative coronavirus tests on Wednesday - although reports in Spain claim players will now receive the first of two doses of the vaccine ahead of their tournament opener against Sweden next week.

“It's an unpleasant situation for everyone,” Jordi Alba told Radio Marca.

"We have been complying with all the protocols and we have to continue to adapt.

"Hopefully there won't be more of this going forward.”

France tipped to struggle

Micah Richards believes France will struggle at the European Championships due to the "egos" within their squad.

Didier Deschamps' men are the favourites with many bookmakers to win the tournament having tasted World Cup glory in Russia three years ago.

But former defender Richards says in-fighting could be an issue with Les Bleus in the coming weeks.

"I think France are going to struggle. They have got too much quality, too much arguments," he told BBC Sport.

"You know what it's like in a camp. Who's taking the free-kick, who's taking a penalty?

"I think there's going to be too many egos in that French squad so I think they're going to struggle."

Richards tipped Belgium to win the tournament, although his fellow BBC pundits Ashley Williams, Gary Lineker and Rio Ferdinand all plumped for France when it came to selecting their tournament winner.

Wales forward signs new club contract

Tyler Roberts has signed a new three-year deal with Leeds United.

The 22-year-old is currently on international duty with Wales at the Euros but has signed fresh terms with Marcelo Bielsa's side.

Roberts - who has scored eight goals in 82 appearances for the Elland Road outfit - is now tied to the Whites until the summer of 2024.

“To be rewarded and go into the future with this club is definitely a proud moment for me and a great feeling,” said Roberts.

“Last season was a season full of ups, nobody outside of our team and Leeds expected us to do that well really.

“There was a lot of talk before the season about how our style wouldn’t work and what was going to happen, but the boys were great and we kept at it, we have a great manager who trusts in the way that we play and it showed in our performances this season.

“It was great to be a part of it, playing in the big games and battling with the best, was a great experience.”

Dr Lecter

Stanty’s keeper
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
13,177 82 29
Country
Wales
Credits
False nine - what a load of old wank.

Football really is a simple game. Play your best players in their best positions.

Keith must start.

Roy Cok

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
☘☘☘ 300 PAGER ☘☘☘
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
Reaction score
Reactions
10,955 88 15
Country
Cambodia
Credits
Micah Richards tips France to struggle now does he? Er..o.k.

Lord Hartley

Ballon d'Or Winner
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
24,594 695 81
Credits
We’ve had our fair share of false 9s down the City since Botnroyd left.

Lord Hartley

Ballon d'Or Winner
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
24,594 695 81
Credits
Micah Richards tips France to struggle now does he? Er..o.k.
His reasoning is poxy. Egos? Who’s going to take the free kicks and pens? They are the world champs ffs:hehe:

Glos Blue

Turkey fiddler
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🎰 HIGHEST ROLLER 🎰
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
6,932 65 13
Country
Wales
Credits
His reasoning is poxy. Egos? Who’s going to take the free kicks and pens? They are the world champs ffs:hehe:
The egos don’t get much bigger than with English players.

Dr Lecter

Stanty’s keeper
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
13,177 82 29
Country
Wales
Credits

Lord Hartley

Ballon d'Or Winner
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
24,594 695 81
Credits
Micah Richards makes Graham look educated.

Ticks a box though.
But he got an infectious laugh. For 2 minutes. Like a male Rusty Lee. Says something completely stupid and then just bursts out laughing.

Btec Graham

Dr Lecter

Stanty’s keeper
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
13,177 82 29
Country
Wales
Credits
But he got an infectious laugh. For 2 minutes. Like a male Rusty Lee. Says something completely stupid and then just bursts out laughing.

Btec Graham

Black Graham.

Jamieccfc

Fuckin’ diabolical
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
18,680 501 59
Country
Czech-Republic
Credits

Btec Graham
He’s on every platform as well, I watched a game on bein sports and the twat was on there as well :facepalm: him and Souness though, ffs Roy nut them both

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now

Members online