Former Cardiff City star reveals details of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's 'ridiculous' reign and Andreas Cornelius' 'bizarre' behaviour

small

Travis Bickle

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
👌👌👌 1000 PAGER 👌👌👌
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🏅 LIFETIME
ACHIEVEMENT 🏅
🤑£ RICHEST MEMBER £🤑
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
🔥 500,000th POST 🔥
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
118,729 306 67
Country
Wales
Credits
7736DBEC-4864-4C75-9536-768D6B3F6DE7.jpeg

Ben Turner has lifted the lid on his time at Cardiff City and the difficulties former boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer faced.

Central defender Turner, who made more than 100 appearances for the Bluebirds between 2011 and 2016, spoke on the ‘Undr The Cosh’ podcast about Solskjær’s reign after the Manchester United legend took over in early 2014 during Cardiff’s first Premier League season, which ultimately ended in relegation.

“I just think that at that time, the people behind the scenes got too involved. After their relationship broke down with Malky [Mackay] then it seemed they were going to take more control with whoever came in next," said Turner.

"It got ridiculous, they were picking certain players to play and Ole had no choice. Sometimes we’d get called in and Ole would say ‘they want this player to play so one of you two can’t play. Last time this happened you didn’t play so this time you won’t play’ (to the other player)'.

“We played Villa on a Tuesday night in the league, at home and drew 0-0. I still think it’s the best I have ever played. We had Hull at home on the Saturday in a must-win game, if not must-win then must not lose if we wanted to stay in the relegation dogfight.

"We were called in and three of the back four had been changed, including myself, the only one who stayed was Steven Caulker. You’re annoyed because you think we played well as individuals and as a team, got a clean sheet and he’s changed it.

“He put Juan Cala in with Caulker at centre-half. Those two just didn’t get on together and we got beaten four something at home to Hull who were also in the relegation dogfight.

"Even in that situation when you were being told you’re not playing, you’re annoyed personally but there’s an element of you that just thinks ‘f*****g hell, can’t they just leave you alone to manage the team?'”

Turner spoke about some of his former team-mates, including Andreas Cornelius.
Cornelius’ time in the capital was unsuccessful and he returned home to his native Denmark after failing to score a goal in what turned out to be an £8m transfer disaster.
“I don’t know if it was just cultural or not but it was just bizarre," Turner said.

"He’d sit in the canteen at lunchtime with a parka coat on zipped right up to his chin eating his dinner.
"We were playing Arsenal away in the league, he gets on the bus from the hotel, he’s got bed hair, he hasn’t been in the shower. He sits down, he’s got the parka on over his tracksuit, as he sits down his trousers go up and he’s got odd socks on.

"We were just about to play Arsenal away in the Premier League, he’s got odd socks on, he hasn’t had a shower and he’s got his parka on!”
Finally, Turner spoke about his relationship with Brazilian full-back Fábio, who joined from Manchester United in January 2014.
Turner said: “Brilliant, brilliant guy. All you ask of someone who has worked hard to get into a higher league is for them to buy into everything and he was one of them who just bought in.
"He was great, he followed me in with a bet at Cheltenham one year. We went to Cheltenham and Betway had a stupid offer, deposit up to £15k and we’ll match it so you have £30k.

“I know my horse racing, it’s my favourite sport to be honest. I remember saying look this is what I am going to do because a few of the lads knew I cared about racing. I said obviously we can still lose, it’s horse racing but if we split the 30 grand on the Mullins four that were all approximately even money, if only one wins you’ve effectively got over seven grand on it which will give you your £15k back.

“Anyway, three out of the four won and only Fábio followed me with the bet. Fábio is only there for a good time. Anyway, the third one comes in and we’re guaranteed to be £20k up each.
"He’s absolutely bouncing, p****d off his head. He’s passing his phone around letting the staff take bets on his phone. When we’re walking out of the course he was saying to me, ‘I love you Ben, I f*****g love you Ben’."

Last edited by a moderator:

bluethrough™

Ballon d'Or Winner
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
Reaction score
Reactions
34,099 203 43
Country
Mars
Credits

Ben Turner has lifted the lid on his time at Cardiff City and the difficulties former boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer faced.

Central defender Turner, who made more than 100 appearances for the Bluebirds between 2011 and 2016, spoke on the ‘Undr The Cosh’ podcast about Solskjær’s reign after the Manchester United legend took over in early 2014 during Cardiff’s first Premier League season, which ultimately ended in relegation.

“I just think that at that time, the people behind the scenes got too involved. After their relationship broke down with Malky [Mackay] then it seemed they were going to take more control with whoever came in next," said Turner.

"It got ridiculous, they were picking certain players to play and Ole had no choice. Sometimes we’d get called in and Ole would say ‘they want this player to play so one of you two can’t play. Last time this happened you didn’t play so this time you won’t play’ (to the other player)'.

“We played Villa on a Tuesday night in the league, at home and drew 0-0. I still think it’s the best I have ever played. We had Hull at home on the Saturday in a must-win game, if not must-win then must not lose if we wanted to stay in the relegation dogfight.

"We were called in and three of the back four had been changed, including myself, the only one who stayed was Steven Caulker. You’re annoyed because you think we played well as individuals and as a team, got a clean sheet and he’s changed it.

“He put Juan Cala in with Caulker at centre-half. Those two just didn’t get on together and we got beaten four something at home to Hull who were also in the relegation dogfight.

"Even in that situation when you were being told you’re not playing, you’re annoyed personally but there’s an element of you that just thinks ‘f*****g hell, can’t they just leave you alone to manage the team?'”

Cornelius’ time in the capital was unsuccessful and he returned home to his native Denmark after failing to score a goal in what turned out to be an £8m transfer disaster.
“I don’t know if it was just cultural or not but it was just bizarre," Turner said.

"He’d sit in the canteen at lunchtime with a parka coat on zipped right up to his chin eating his dinner.
"We were playing Arsenal away in the league, he gets on the bus from the hotel, he’s got bed hair, he hasn’t been in the shower. He sits down, he’s got the parka on over his tracksuit, as he sits down his trousers go up and he’s got odd socks on.

"We were just about to play Arsenal away in the Premier League, he’s got odd socks on, he hasn’t had a shower and he’s got his parka on!”
Finally, Turner spoke about his relationship with Brazilian full-back Fábio, who joined from Manchester United in January 2014.
Turner said: “Brilliant, brilliant guy. All you ask of someone who has worked hard to get into a higher league is for them to buy into everything and he was one of them who just bought in.
"He was great, he followed me in with a bet at Cheltenham one year. We went to Cheltenham and Betway had a stupid offer, deposit up to £15k and we’ll match it so you have £30k.

“I know my horse racing, it’s my favourite sport to be honest. I remember saying look this is what I am going to do because a few of the lads knew I cared about racing. I said obviously we can still lose, it’s horse racing but if we split the 30 grand on the Mullins four that were all approximately even money, if only one wins you’ve effectively got over seven grand on it which will give you your £15k back.

“Anyway, three out of the four won and only Fábio followed me with the bet. Fábio is only there for a good time. Anyway, the third one comes in and we’re guaranteed to be £20k up each.
"He’s absolutely bouncing, p****d off his head. He’s passing his phone around letting the staff take bets on his phone. When we’re walking out of the course he was saying to me, ‘I love you Ben, I f*****g love you Ben’."

We all been there:hehe:

Dr Lecter

Merry Fucking Christmas
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
👑 KING OF THE FORUM 👑
♂ FORUM ADONIS ♂
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
DALMAN & CHOO OUT!
Reaction score
Reactions
24,319 42 67
Country
Wales
Credits

So basically OGS was too weak to tell people to keep their noses out?

Explains a lot.

Dr Lecter

Merry Fucking Christmas
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
👑 KING OF THE FORUM 👑
♂ FORUM ADONIS ♂
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
DALMAN & CHOO OUT!
Reaction score
Reactions
24,319 42 67
Country
Wales
Credits
That maybe over simplifying it a bit in fairness.
Is it?

You’re the manger. An ex pro who won every trophy there is to win. Crazy foreign owner with no clue about football tries interfering with team selection. Do you:

1: Allow him to pick the team and make you look like a clueless prick in the process.

2. Tell him to fuck off and if he doesn’t like it then find another manager,

PlumberAde

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
✪✪✪ CHAMPION ✪✪✪
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
PICKEM 20/21 WINNER
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
Reaction score
Reactions
17,875 63 27
Credits
So basically OGS was too weak to tell people to keep their noses out?

Explains a lot.

Thought as much really. Scary how betting companies cater for rich footballers too, no wonder some of them get problems.

For Cornelius, first time away from home. I get it. I was much the same at college, and I'd only gone as far from home as Pontypridd.

PlumberAde

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
✪✪✪ CHAMPION ✪✪✪
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
PICKEM 20/21 WINNER
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
Reaction score
Reactions
17,875 63 27
Credits
Is it?

You’re the manger. An ex pro who won every trophy there is to win. Crazy foreign owner with no clue about football tries interfering with team selection. Do you:

1: Allow him to pick the team and make you look like a clueless prick in the process.

3. Let him potentially kill your fledgling managerial career knowing there's still a big pay day at OT when Jose gets the sack.

Ole is a nice guy, not sure I could ever see him standing up to someone. Funny thing is, he was a manager Cornelius could probably relate to in some way. I wonder if Ole had any chance to at least try with Cornelius?

SloopJB

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
Reaction score
Reactions
2,545 11 1
Credits
Makes me wonder if they are still picking the team. It can now only be the conceivable reason why Bacuna, Pack and Vaulks get in the team together. Any manager only needs to watch a few videos of city games to realise, putting one of them in the team is risky let alone all three. I am still fuming over it from last night. I mentioned the three being in the team to a number of fans before the game last night and one or two got a bit defensive of Morison's choice to play them all in the midfield saying " lets see how he plays them before we criticise." IMO it doesn't matter how he sets them up in the midfield they are crap full stop: no pace, sub standard ball control and shit positioning. No wonder the ball was going from Flint to Nelson back to Flint, to Mcguinness and back again, as there was no midfielder coming for the ball or making space for a cute pass. We cannot afford to carry them any longer. Put some young and eager legs in there. The experienced pros such as the 'dire trio' are the reason for our slide down the table. Why he did not start with the 11 that finished against Preston i don't now.
SJB

bluethrough™

Ballon d'Or Winner
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
Reaction score
Reactions
34,099 203 43
Country
Mars
Credits
Is it?

Agree that's what I would expect of an established and experienced manager.

Just think that this was Ole's first major opportunity as a fairly inexperienced manager. Not saying he is a good manager at all, just think that given the same situation now, I would think(hope) he would be more his own man.

SloopJB

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
Reaction score
Reactions
2,545 11 1
Credits
Thought as much really. Scary how betting companies cater for rich footballers too, no wonder some of them get problems.

For Cornelius, first time away from home. I get it. I was much the same at college, and I'd only gone as far from home as Pontypridd.
First time away from home! I did my first trip to sea at 16 running around the Caribbean and South America, i did not miss home one bit. Sun, sea and great runs ashore :thumbup:and i was on nowhere near the money Cornelius was on.
SJB

The Colonel

Gaffer
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
👑 900 PAGER 👑
⁛ FOURCAST WINNER ⁛
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
108,416 791 246
Country
Wales
Credits

It sounds like Cornelius was a bit depressed and missing home and didn't have anyone to talk to, which is tough for a young lad with pressure on him.

I always liked Fabio mind, he seemed to have a passion for the game and a good attitude. Is he still playing?

stantys tattoos

never sober
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
PICKEM 19/20 WINNER
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
~LMS Belarus~
😈 Prince of Darkness 😈
I ❤ JASON PERRY
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
70,927 591 107
Country
Wales
Credits
It sounds like Cornelius was a bit depressed and missing home and didn't have anyone to talk to, which is tough for a young lad with pressure on him.

I always liked Fabio mind, he seemed to have a passion for the game and a good attitude. Is he still playing?
yes at nantes

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now