Freedom of Speech/Right to Protest at risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnasher

Ballon d'Or Winner
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐 20 PAGER 🗐
Credits
Greta Thunberg on bbc1 speaking to a crowd in Bristol from a short while ago. Angela Merkel said speakers corner was the first place she visited when coming to London as it was a beacon to those without a voice in easten Europe. Kamala Harris the vice president of the United States recently said free protest should always be permitted against police aggression..

All three of the above examples could have been banned in Britain if the police protest bill had been law. Instead of being a shinning light on free speech and democracy this bill will take away rights acknowledged and admired for centuries.

A young girl growing up in Briton in the near future will unfortunately soon be oppressed by less freedom of speech and the right of protest than a young Angela Merkel would have had 40 years ago in east Germany.

The Colonel

Gaffer
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
👌 1000 PAGER 👌
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
FOURCAST WINNER 21/22
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
$ BANK $
Credits
Greta Thunberg on bbc1 speaking to a crowd in Bristol from a short while ago. Angela Merkel said speakers corner was the first place she visited when coming to London as it was a beacon to those without a voice in easten Europe. Kamala Harris the vice president of the United States recently said free protest should always be permitted against police aggression..

All three of the above examples could have been banned in Britain if the police protest bill had been law. Instead of being a shinning light on free speech and democracy this bill will take away rights acknowledged and admired for centuries.

A young girl growing up in Briton in the near future will unfortunately soon be oppressed by less freedom of speech and the right of protest than a young Angela Merkel would have had 40 years ago in east Germany.
Thought you could use a separate thread for this as it seems to be a topic you like to post about :thumbup:

BLUE TUESDAY

FORUMS ADONIS
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⌚ GOALTIME WINNER ⌚
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
WEED CLUB
Credits
Facking how dare you :hehe:
Gnasher is like the menopausal bird on here :hehe:

Mrs Steve R

Sex realist
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
🗐 200 PAGER 🗐
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
🔟 PICKEM 10/10 🔟
Credits
You passed that years ago :hehe:
Your the nanny here :hehe:
No I'm not, not yet :roll::hehe:

I don't remember the same people kicking off about the right to protest when the old lady was kicked and punched by police at the anti lockdown protest btw.

BLUE TUESDAY

FORUMS ADONIS
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⌚ GOALTIME WINNER ⌚
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
WEED CLUB
Credits
No I'm not, not yet :roll::hehe:

I don't remember the same people kicking off about the right to protest when the old lady was kicked and punched by police at the anti lockdown protest btw.

:fishing:
:hehe:

Worse

Ballon d'Or Winner
☢ TITANIUM VIP ☢
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
😈 Prince of Darkness 😈
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Lecter Wrangler
Credits
It's not if you agree with the kid or don't agree with the kid. That question is irrelevant because unless the authorities agree you will not be allowed to hear her or people like her speak anywhere in Britain.

The journalist, Pepe Escobar has just been banned permanently from Facebook. He had 60,000 followers globally. Escobar was responsible for getting to the truth about the downed Malaysian flight, over Ukraine some years ago.

Dr. Lecter

Forum Racist
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
♂ FORUM ADONIS ♂
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
🐺 WOLFPACK 🐺
Credits

Gnasher

Ballon d'Or Winner
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐 20 PAGER 🗐
Credits
Thought you could use a separate thread for this as it seems to be a topic you like to post about :thumbup:

Thanks. Didn't want to clog the board up but it is the most controversial legislation for a generation so imo its a subject that will rear its ugly head (like it or not) over the next few years and more.

The Merkel speech when she was the first German chancellor to speak in the house of commons imo shows how important this issue is. Merkel apologied to parliament by saying when she first visited London the usual attractions like the houses of parliament etc were low down the list compared to speakers corner because ( as I've said above) speakers corner was seen as such a monumentally important siren for free speech throughout the Easton bloc during the cold war. Speakers corner has been a siren for freedom of speech for 300 odd years, now we are complacent whilst it's taken away. On the same theme the Thunbergs school stike outside Swedens Parliament would probably have been banned in Britain after this legislation.

I'm repeating myself but imo it's vital for future generations this bill is repealed.

Woody

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Credits
Thanks. Didn't want to clog the board up but it is the most controversial legislation for a generation so imo its a subject that will rear its ugly head (like it or not) over the next few years and more.

The Merkel speech when she was the first German chancellor to speak in the house of commons imo shows how important this issue is. Merkel apologied to parliament by saying when she first visited London the usual attractions like the houses of parliament etc were low down the list compared to speakers corner because ( as I've said above) speakers corner was seen as such a monumentally important siren for free speech throughout the Easton bloc during the cold war. Speakers corner has been a siren for freedom of speech for 300 odd years, now we are complacent whilst it's taken away. On the same theme the Thunbergs school stike outside Swedens Parliament would probably have been banned in Britain after this legislation.

I'm repeating myself but imo it's vital for future generations this bill is repealed.

Is Speakers' Corner being taken away then?

Knees up Brian Clark

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🗐 200 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
Good job the fans got the blue back when they did:thumbup:

Woody

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Credits
No, but that'll not stop his righteous indignation.

Indeed. I am also unsure as to the veracity of @Gnasher's statement that Speakers' Corner has been there for more than 300 years and of his earlier claims about freedom of expression in early 80's East Germany.

QM Redux

Banned
Ballon d'Or Winner
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
Credits
Indeed. I am also unsure as to the veracity of @Gnasher's statement that Speakers' Corner has been there for more than 300 years and of his earlier claims about freedom of expression in early 80's East Germany.

I can see why Splotty, oops Gnasher ( soz, get them confused ) like Speaker' corner given the whackjobs routinely rambling there.
Unsurprisingly cant see any evidence for the claim SC has been there more than 300 years.

Woody

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Credits
Here is a fact sheet for anyone interested in actual details of the changes in legislation affecting protests. I thought this might be handy in terms of having an informed debate on the matter: -

From my own perspective, limiting the rights of protesters to disrupt the lives of the rest of us is perfectly OK. For example, I've no issue at all with the likes of Extinction Rebellion getting together to demonstrate peacefully about the environment (even if many of them are hypocrites and their demands unrealistic). I do however have an issue when they think their right to their opinion trumps the rights of people who want to go about their daily lives without idiots towing boats into city centres, gluing themselves to tube trains or (as in the case of a mate of mine last year who works in print) barricading people inside their workplaces against their will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No activity at the moment...

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now