Credits

Eat Y'self Fitter

Kicker Conspiracist
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
PICKEM 17/18 - 1st Place
Credits
The Sheffield United comments which spelled the end for Gary Madine at Cardiff City
The Bluebirds let the striker leave for nothing with 18 months left on his contract

0_GettyImages-917932036.jpg

Gary Madine's Cardiff City story came to an abrupt end yesterday.

In truth, his signing could go down as one of the poorest bits of business in the club's history.

City forked out a princely £6m for the striker two years ago and the supporters never saw him score a single goal.

He was briefly relieved of his nightmare spell at Cardiff City Stadium last season, when he was loaned out to Championship rivals Sheffield United.

Madine crossed the Steel City divide, having played more than 100 games for Sheffield Wednesday earlier in his career, and made a decent impression at Bramall Lane.

He earned the respect of Blades supporters, having finally found his shooting boots again.

Three goals and two assists in 16 appearances is hardly groundbreaking, but he contributed at crucial times and aided their ultimately successful promotion push.

Following a torrid year at Cardiff, Madine was desperate to seal a permanent move to Sheffield United.

His comments, however, did little to endear himself to the already frustrated Cardiff fans.

"This feels like home to me now,” Madine said of the Blades last April.

"I’d be devastated if I had to move on from here at the end of the season. I’d love to stay for as long as the manager wants me and hopefully that’s beyond the summer.

"I knew I’d enjoy it here, that’s why I jumped at the chance to come, but I wasn’t thinking about the future, I just wanted to come and play games, score goals and win promotion again.

"These lads are a special bunch, working daily with this manager and his staff is something I’ve relished."

But he would be left 'devastated'. He had to trudge back to the Welsh capital with his tail between his legs.

Neil Warnock tried to ship him on in the summer, but, with two years left on his deal, he proved too expensive for other Championship clubs.

That might well be a large factor in why he was let go for nothing yesterday, with 18 months left to run on his current deal. Off the wage bill and now free to a good home, making him a far more attractive prospect for some clubs. Sunderland are already thought to have registered an interest.

But why didn't it happen at Cardiff? Madine attributed some of it to being too far from his home in the North East.

"I don’t want to be disrespectful to Cardiff City but it’s a long way from home and it’s never really happened for me there," Madine added.

"I’m settled here, I’m content and happy. I’ve proved I play my best football when I’m happy and I couldn’t be happier than I am at Sheffield United."

1_JS175279728.jpg

All things considered, no striker really did well under Warnock at Cardiff City. Barring a purple patch from Kenneth Zohore in the promotion season, many a striker tried and ultimately failed.

So Madine, like many others, might well have fallen victim to the Bluebirds' style of football at times. They often relied on set-piece goals or contributions from midfield and the wing.

But make no bones about it, Madine was a costly mistake. He had ample opportunity — 28 games — to make his mark and failed miserably.

The club appear to have lanced a boil by letting Madine go, but they simply cannot afford to make such expensive errors moving forward.

In the grander scheme of things, manager Neil Harris is adamant he wants to change the style of football in the Welsh capital.

We have seen a marginal difference so far, but the recruitment this window will give us a far greater insight into how the manager wants to play moving forward.

There simply has to be a greater emphasis on playing more football and we are gradually seeing that evolve. Robert Glatzel and Lee Tomlin have certainly benefited from it.

Glatzel, who cost half a million pounds less than Madine, has already made a better impression than many other strikers who have walked through the door in recent years and City fans will be desperate for that to continue.

But, as our columnist Nathan Blake has said , this club needs a radical overhaul in terms of culture and philosophy. Continually plugging gaps when they appear is not the manner in which this club will progress.

Some recruitment is needed this month, that much is for certain. But those players have to fit the greater philosophy of the club long term, rather than horses-for-courses signings or a quick fix for the manager.

It should all come from the top and run right through the club.

Madine always felt like a Warnock signing. Moving forward, players can't feel like Harris signings, they have to feel like Cardiff City signings.

Source - The Sheffield United comments which spelled the end for Gary Madine - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/gary-madine-cardiff-sheffield-united-17543045

Arkay Dubya

Ballon d'Or Winner
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
Credits
"Long way from home"

300-odd miles? Really? Honestly, why be a footballer if you can't handle that, particularly on those wages?

Get in the bin Madine. Goes into my Top 5 worst City players.

:wave::wave::wave:

Sir Barry Shitpeas

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 30 PAGER 🗐
Credits

Travis Bickle

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
🏁 1500 PAGER 🏁
~LAST MAN STANDING~
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🏅 LIFETIME AWARD 🏅
£ RICHEST MEMBER £
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
👌 CARDIFF LEGEND 👌
🔥 500,000th POST 🔥
1 MILLION THREAD VIEWS
$ BANK $
Credits
"Long way from home"

300-odd miles? Really? Honestly, why be a footballer if you can't handle that, particularly on those wages?

Get in the bin Madine. Goes into my Top 5 worst City players.

:wave::wave::wave:

Spot on as bad as Pat Heard etc, he can fuck off and play for some Northern shithole team

Arkay Dubya

Ballon d'Or Winner
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
Credits
Madines contract would have had all sorts of clauses and extras in it. Some of which he's probably already trousered, others he will have let go as to not command a fee but I bet the City paid him his basic salary up to the end date to finish it early. An expensive mistake.
Well, at least we would've saved money on his 'goal bonus'.

TH63

Wolfpack Leader
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏃 500 PAGER 🏃
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
PICKEM 18/19 - 1st Place
👂 Trusted Listener 👂
🐺 WOLFPACK 🐺
Credits

Steve R

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 30 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
Ungrateful tosser.

Steve R

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 30 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
I heard he likes the sniff and the ladies.

Just sayin' now he's gone. :thumbup:

TH63

Wolfpack Leader
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏃 500 PAGER 🏃
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
PICKEM 18/19 - 1st Place
👂 Trusted Listener 👂
🐺 WOLFPACK 🐺
Credits

TDA

The Fun Police
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
💰 JACKPOT! 💰
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 200 PAGER 🗐
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Credits
Sensationalist headline that has no bearing in reality. Madine had every chance under a new manager here, but it wasn't to be.

Dr. Lecter

Forum Racist
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
♂ FORUM ADONIS ♂
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
🐺 WOLFPACK 🐺
Credits
Shit player, shit attitude.

In short, shit.

Crowbar Johnny

Ballon d'Or Winner
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🗐 20 PAGER 🗐
Credits
Why start a new thread we already have a GM thread from yesterday:shrug2:

Glos Blue

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
FOURCAST WINNER 22/23
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
₡ BOOKIES ₡
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
$ BANK $
👂 Trusted Listener 👂
Credits
Oh I do hope there is a CCFC fight club. I can just imagine when it’s Murphy’s turn to get into a punch up, the pussy would fall over before the fight had even started.

Jimmytaff

Sir Jim, Earl of Llandaf
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👑 FORUM KING 👑
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
~LMS Deutschland~
🖕 FUCK THE TORIES! 🖕
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ KEV MCNAUGHTON
I ❤ BRIAN CLARK
I ❤ RUBIN COLWILL
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
Typical WoL bullshit. The comments are 9 months old and didn't preclude him getting multiple opportunities since. It was a come and get me plea to Wilder that didn't work and he was naively honest in places.

Activity
No activity at the moment...

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now