Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
☘☘☘ 300 PAGER ☘☘☘
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
Reaction score
Reactions
7,982 60 12
Credits
Not much football today. What do you think about cutting foreign aid? Right thing to do given the state of our economy plus it’s wasted anyway isn’t it? Or a terrible idea considering the small amount it is of our gdp overall and how big a difference it can make to the recipients ?

Vote is confidential btw.

Antifa

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
Reaction score
Reactions
6,010 146 16
Credits
Keep paying it even at a lesser amount if needs be

If it’s cut or not none of our lives will be any different as they are now

we won’t benefit in anyway whatsoever

kiffa

(kippa)
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
₡ BOOKIE ₡
🤑£ RICHEST MEMBER £🤑
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
22,641 576 152
Credits
Not much football today. What do you think about cutting foreign aid? Right thing to do given the state of our economy plus it’s wasted anyway isn’t it? Or a terrible idea considering the small amount it is of our gdp overall and how big a difference it can make to the recipients ?

Vote is confidential btw.
I don’t think we should be cutting it but we should also be making sure what money we do send is getting spent directly on helping those who it is intended to reach.

Far too much of it gets siphoned off

Roy Cok

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
☘☘☘ 300 PAGER ☘☘☘
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
Reaction score
Reactions
7,982 60 12
Credits
I don’t think we should be cutting it but we should also be making sure what money we do send is getting spent directly on helping those who it is intended to reach.

Yeah. it's definitely got an image problem on that front.

Eat Y'self Fitter

Kicker Conspiracist
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
PICKEM 17/18 - 1st Place
Reaction score
Reactions
27,534 876 90
Credits
Last year the UK spend 3/4 of a fucked Track and Trace on foreign aid. I wonder if they're trying to drive the conversation on Government spending?

QM Redux

Ballon d'Or Winner
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
1,900 175 372
Credits

Not just in foreign aid money but charitable donations too - charity "overheads", CEO wages etc take large chunks out.

kiffa

(kippa)
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
₡ BOOKIE ₡
🤑£ RICHEST MEMBER £🤑
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
22,641 576 152
Credits
Not just in foreign aid money but charitable donations too - charity "overheads", CEO wages etc take large chunks out.
Yeh i try to be careful when donating to charities to know what kind of proportion of the pound gets to where it should

People would be surprised at how low it can go

QM Redux

Ballon d'Or Winner
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
1,900 175 372
Credits
Yeh i try to be careful when donating to charities to know what kind of proportion of the pound gets to where it should

It's also how the money is used.

Band Aid, for example, did nothing to solve the issues it claimed to be looking to solve, defering them at best; Geldof made a lot of money out of it as did artists performing whose albums had increased sales after it.

kiffa

(kippa)
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
₡ BOOKIE ₡
🤑£ RICHEST MEMBER £🤑
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
22,641 576 152
Credits
It's also how the money is used.

Band Aid, for example, did nothing to solve the issues it claimed to be looking to solve, defering them at best; Geldof made a lot of money out of it as did artists performing whose albums had increased sales after it.
Unfortunately, it is not always going to be within a charities power to address the underlying problems creating a charitable need

You need only look to our own country - charities will feed the homeless but the problem of homelessness needs to be solved and a government level

Charities will very often only be able to treat the symptoms

QM Redux

Ballon d'Or Winner
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
1,900 175 372
Credits
Unfortunately, it is not always going to be within a charities power to address the underlying problems creating a charitable need

You need only look to our own country - charities will feed the homeless but the problem of homelessness needs to be solved and a government level

Agree to a degree.

Charities have also become a profitable career for some - not the elderly volunteering their time in stores though.

kiffa

(kippa)
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
₡ BOOKIE ₡
🤑£ RICHEST MEMBER £🤑
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
22,641 576 152
Credits
Agree to a degree.

Charities have also become a profitable career for some - not the elderly volunteering their time in stores though.
Yes I agree but addressed that point already

QM Redux

Ballon d'Or Winner
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
1,900 175 372
Credits

Using homelessness as an example, work is being done on both levels. Cardiff council certainly announced they had enough shelter places for the homeless in Cardiff - the issue however was that a number of homeless refused to take up the places offered. The shelters were pretty strict - no drugs, no alcohol - which makes perfect sense given the duty of care the service would have to both homeless and staff.

Sadly, at the end of the day you can only take a horse to water, can't make it drink as the old phrase goes. How the council can bridge that disconnect between being clean and safe over drinking, taking drugs and remaining on the streets is a difficult one I don't think there's a good solution to either via charity or government, local or otherwise.

steve davies

Just a misunderstood slap head
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐🗐 20 PAGER 🗐🗐
Reaction score
Reactions
9,110 948 29
Credits

i got approached by a local welsh charity for help with funding 6 months ago . i declined because i only give to marie curie as both my parents got taken by the disease but before declining i looked into their accounts and they were getting 3.2 million from the european union and 2.7 of it was going on wages and administrative expenses with 5 people on the board earning 6 figure salaries.
I believe the red cross uses 97p in the pound as admin as well.
they can have it when ive popped my clogs as it wont worry me then

kiffa

(kippa)
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
₡ BOOKIE ₡
🤑£ RICHEST MEMBER £🤑
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
22,641 576 152
Credits
Using homelessness as an example, work is being done on both levels. Cardiff council certainly announced they had enough shelter places for the homeless in Cardiff - the issue however was that a number of homeless refused to take up the places offered. The shelters were pretty strict - no drugs, no alcohol - which makes perfect sense given the duty of care the service would have to both homeless and staff.

Sadly, at the end of the day you can only take a horse to water, can't make it drink as the old phrase goes. How the council can bridge that disconnect between being clean and safe over drinking, taking drugs and remaining on the streets is a difficult one I don't think there's a good solution to either via charity or government, local or otherwise.
My overarching point was that charities often do not have the power to influence all factors that would solve any one particular problem they have been set up to help, they can only treat the symptoms, which is something you seemed to be criticising them for

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now