‘Jingoism’ of Wales and Scotland’s coverage at Euros ‘getting out of hand’ say Telegraph

Cardiff City ForumOff TopicFun BetsMember BetsCredits Lottery

The Colonel

Gaffer
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
👑 900 PAGER 👑
⁛ FOURCAST WINNER ⁛
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
₡ BOOKIE ₡
Reaction score
Reactions
97,462 2,560 240
Country
Wales
Credits
The pro-Welsh and Scottish slant of coverage of the Euro 2020 championship is “getting out of hand,” and amounts to “jingoism” according to the Telegraph newspaper.

The newspaper’s TV columnist Alan Tyers criticised the “excessive” commentary of Robbie Savage at the Turkey v Wales game and the subdued commentary on the Czech Republic’s amazing second goal against Scotland at Hampden Park.

It comes after the same newspaper previously complained that coverage of Wales’ game against Turkey amounted to “one-eyed cheerleading” and condemned the BBC for “inflicting” Robbie Savage onto their screens.

NHrjOSJ.jpg

“Henry Blofeld told this writer a few years ago that his very first producer at the BBC had warned him: ‘the first day you refer to England as ‘we’ is the last day you work here.’ It would be P45s all round if they tried that at Euro 2020,” Alan Tyers said.

“Nobody is looking to Robbie Savage for sober assessment, but his work on Wales vs Turkey was excessive, while the all-Scottish pundit crew’s portrayal of the Patrik Schick wondergoal as a tragic accident served no-one.

“Folk from Wales and Scotland might justifiably argue they’ve had a lifetime of sports commentators assuming the punter is an England supporter, but this fans-with-microphones fashion is getting out of hand, and cuddly jingoism is jingoism nonetheless.”

He went on to note that “Graeme Souness and his teeth dominating the screen during the England vs Scotland match, to the extent that even Roy Keane was pushed onto the back foot. Ian Wright has thus far been subdued.”

‘Emotion’

Alan Tyler’s comments for the paper follow those of sports commentator Daniel Schofield who complained that the analysis in the Turkey v Wales game “was less a considered breakdown of Rob Page’s tactics than an exercise in one-eyed cheerleading that some cyclops would consider excessive”.

“To be clear this is not Savage’s fault. ‘Paschun’ and the wearing of heart on his sleeve like cufflinks is as much part of his brand as his suspicious all-year round tan. Instead it is the BBC who must bear responsibility for inflicting Savage upon our ears,” he wrote.

“Putting Savage on co-commentary and expecting dispassionate erudite analysis is like giving a Rottweiler a bunny rabbit and hoping they become friends. This is the deliberate direction of travel, not just from the BBC but from ITV, Sky and BT Sport.

“From celebrating a five-yard pass to disputing every decision that went against his team, Savage did a grand job of embodying the emotions of every Wales supporter watching the game.”

However, Daniel Schofield does concede at the end of the article that perhaps England fans are only having to tolerate what Welsh and Scottish fans have put up with for decades.

“There will be no shortage of Welsh, Scottish and Irish readers happy to point out for much of the past 20 years they have had to put up with an overwhelming favouritism being shoved down their throat every time England are involved in a major tournament,” he ends.

“Which is true. Who knew that karma would come with blond locks and skinny jeans?”

Jimmytaff

Sir Jim, Earl of Llandaf
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👑 KING OF THE FORUM 👑
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
~LMS Deutschland~
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
10,479 776 696
Country
Wales
Credits
It will all end in Tyers

Woy

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
☘☘☘ 300 PAGER ☘☘☘
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
Reaction score
Reactions
12,228 101 15
Country
Cambodia
Credits
Sore bastards the English. Hate not being the center of attention. Pathetic.

Captain Fishtits

First Team Debut
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
Reaction score
Reactions
206 1
Credits
The Telegraph.
The Sun for grown ups
Another fascist rag this time owned by those paragons of virtue The Barclay brothers
Pro biased English media …….,never

Glos Blue

Turkey fiddler
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
7,423 67 13
Country
Wales
Credits
Jealous fucking English, just because they have nothing to be passionate about.

I like Savage’s passion. The best line from Wales vs Belgium in 2016 was “Go and wake up your kids, history is being made!”

Jimmytaff

Sir Jim, Earl of Llandaf
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👑 KING OF THE FORUM 👑
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
~LMS Deutschland~
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
10,479 776 696
Country
Wales
Credits
Jealous fucking English, just because they have nothing to be passionate about.

I like Savage’s passion. The best line from Wales vs Belgium in 2016 was “Go and wake up your kids, history is being made!”
All the sour grapes when we had a homecoming for the semis spoke volumes

Caroline St

Ballon d'Or Winner
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
Reaction score
Reactions
3,901 97 7
Country
Barbados
Credits
Anyone who just watched half time in the Finland /Belgium game would disagree, media English bias as per, ferdinand is a fucking bell

Popeye

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
10,381 46 5
Country
Wales
Credits
Pity he didn’t mention that nigh on all half time and full time segments include England even when they’re not fucking playing.

kiffa

(kippa)
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
₡ BOOKIE ₡
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
26,020 613 167
Country
Jamaica
Credits
They’re right that Savage is massively biased. He is.

But they have absolutely zero right to bring it up as being an issue. none at all.

Jimmytaff

Sir Jim, Earl of Llandaf
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👑 KING OF THE FORUM 👑
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
~LMS Deutschland~
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
10,479 776 696
Country
Wales
Credits
They’re right that Savage is massively biased. He is.

But they have absolutely zero right to bring it up as being an issue. none at all.
Bias is one thing. Jingoism is an English specialty though

PlumberAde

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
✪✪✪ CHAMPION ✪✪✪
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
PICKEM 20/21 WINNER
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
Reaction score
Reactions
15,740 165 24
Credits
The pro-Welsh and Scottish slant of coverage of the Euro 2020 championship is “getting out of hand,” and amounts to “jingoism” according to the Telegraph newspaper.

The newspaper’s TV columnist Alan Tyers criticised the “excessive” commentary of Robbie Savage at the Turkey v Wales game and the subdued commentary on the Czech Republic’s amazing second goal against Scotland at Hampden Park.

It comes after the same newspaper previously complained that coverage of Wales’ game against Turkey amounted to “one-eyed cheerleading” and condemned the BBC for “inflicting” Robbie Savage onto their screens.

NHrjOSJ.jpg

“Henry Blofeld told this writer a few years ago that his very first producer at the BBC had warned him: ‘the first day you refer to England as ‘we’ is the last day you work here.’ It would be P45s all round if they tried that at Euro 2020,” Alan Tyers said.

“Nobody is looking to Robbie Savage for sober assessment, but his work on Wales vs Turkey was excessive, while the all-Scottish pundit crew’s portrayal of the Patrik Schick wondergoal as a tragic accident served no-one.

“Folk from Wales and Scotland might justifiably argue they’ve had a lifetime of sports commentators assuming the punter is an England supporter, but this fans-with-microphones fashion is getting out of hand, and cuddly jingoism is jingoism nonetheless.”

He went on to note that “Graeme Souness and his teeth dominating the screen during the England vs Scotland match, to the extent that even Roy Keane was pushed onto the back foot. Ian Wright has thus far been subdued.”

‘Emotion’

Alan Tyler’s comments for the paper follow those of sports commentator Daniel Schofield who complained that the analysis in the Turkey v Wales game “was less a considered breakdown of Rob Page’s tactics than an exercise in one-eyed cheerleading that some cyclops would consider excessive”.

“To be clear this is not Savage’s fault. ‘Paschun’ and the wearing of heart on his sleeve like cufflinks is as much part of his brand as his suspicious all-year round tan. Instead it is the BBC who must bear responsibility for inflicting Savage upon our ears,” he wrote.

“Putting Savage on co-commentary and expecting dispassionate erudite analysis is like giving a Rottweiler a bunny rabbit and hoping they become friends. This is the deliberate direction of travel, not just from the BBC but from ITV, Sky and BT Sport.

“From celebrating a five-yard pass to disputing every decision that went against his team, Savage did a grand job of embodying the emotions of every Wales supporter watching the game.”

However, Daniel Schofield does concede at the end of the article that perhaps England fans are only having to tolerate what Welsh and Scottish fans have put up with for decades.

“There will be no shortage of Welsh, Scottish and Irish readers happy to point out for much of the past 20 years they have had to put up with an overwhelming favouritism being shoved down their throat every time England are involved in a major tournament,” he ends.

“Which is true. Who knew that karma would come with blond locks and skinny jeans?”

Well Daily Torygraphy, welcome to what we have experienced for the last 30 years at least. England commentators have been using "we" to describe England all the way through.

The cringey "Breakfast with Beckham" nonsense spewed out by the resident tosser, John Motson, was probably the worst tournament ever for bias.

Let's not forget, even Giggs was calling England "we" in 2018 I think it was.

PlumberAde

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
✪✪✪ CHAMPION ✪✪✪
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
PICKEM 20/21 WINNER
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
Reaction score
Reactions
15,740 165 24
Credits
All the sour grapes when we had a homecoming for the semis spoke volumes

You can see the author of that piece.

"Look at those Welsh, showing up for a tournament and enjoying it. They even enjoy it when they lose."

Bale misses a penalty - English mentality is to hang, draw and quarter him. In a game the next day a commentator said "Bale's penalty is still rising" (would never EVER be made a joke of if it was Kane). In fairness the pundit replied "Well, he's earned the right to miss one hasn't he?". England remember their best heroes for the moments where they failed.

Reminds me of a game at Arsenal in the cup. City fans singing. Arsenal go 1-0 up. One of their fans above us points to his ear "Can't hear you now can we" sort of stuff. City fans "Let's all have a disco, let's all have a disco" seconds after going 1 down. He couldn't understand it so much, he lost it and got chucked out by a steward.

England look downright miserable every tournament. It is bizarre, it's almost like they would rather be on a beach somewhere than playing at Wembley in front of a home crowd that boos them.

L’immortale

Ballon d'Or Winner
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
25,071 695 81
Credits
I assume the writer of this piece has never heard Glenn Hoddle co commentate an England match :hehe:

Ray Wilkins, god bless him, used to call players by their nickname ffs:hehe:

Sam Mattaface was so condescending to the Jocks on Friday. I think Lyndon Dykes misses a chance and he said something along the lines of “He has scored two international goals, but they were only against Faroe Islands and Luxembourg”

Dr Lecter

Stanty’s Ex.
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
👑 KING OF THE FORUM 👑
♂ FORUM ADONIS ♂
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🎰 HIGHEST ROLLER 🎰
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
I ❤ TC
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ PHILLIPS
I ❤ BIG MICK
I ❤ KIEFFER MOORE
I ❤ MOZZA
I ❤ LEE TOMLIN
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
16,342 97 32
Country
Wales
Credits
Sums it up perfectly.
1624347119029.png
Spot on.

I get the impression that the England players are as annoyed with ‘their’ press as everyone else.

They really are a strange breed - act as though you’ve got a team of worldbeaters and then look for scapegoats as soon as the slightest thing goes wrong.

I can’t think of any other country that has such a bizarre mentality towards its own sports ‘heroes’

Jimmytaff

Sir Jim, Earl of Llandaf
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👑 KING OF THE FORUM 👑
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
~LMS Deutschland~
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
10,479 776 696
Country
Wales
Credits
Sums it up perfectly.
1624347119029.png
I've always said this. Southgate seems a decent man but their media never learns. They showed some humility at the start of the WC but the bullshit bandwagon soon gained momentum and went into overdrive. Its like they can't help themselves

Popeye

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
10,381 46 5
Country
Wales
Credits
Spot on.

I get the impression that the England players are as annoyed with ‘their’ press as everyone else.

They really are a strange breed - act as though you’ve got a team of worldbeaters and then look for scapegoats as soon as the slightest thing goes wrong.

I can’t think of any other country that has such a bizarre mentality towards its own sports ‘heroes’
Fans are the same.
Imagine wanting to drop one of the worlds best strikers because he hasn’t scored a goal in two games after receiving no service?

Bale hasn’t scored for 13 games, you wouldn’t see anything like that from our fans.

SloopJB

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
Reaction score
Reactions
2,041 34 1
Credits

NHrjOSJ.jpg

‘Emotion’

Well-written article; made me laugh in parts.
SJB

Jimmytaff

Sir Jim, Earl of Llandaf
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👑 KING OF THE FORUM 👑
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
~LMS Deutschland~
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
10,479 776 696
Country
Wales
Credits
Well-written article; made me laugh in parts.
SJB
It's not a terrible article but I find applying the word jingoism to the Welsh and Scots fans a pisstake.

The points about bias are valid.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now

On the forum