Marcelo Bielsa reveals difference of opinion which led to Leeds United star joining Cardiff City

small

Travis Bickle

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
👌👌👌 1000 PAGER 👌👌👌
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🏅 LIFETIME
ACHIEVEMENT 🏅
🤑£ RICHEST MEMBER £🤑
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
🔥 500,000th POST 🔥
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
121,797 308 67
Country
Wales
Credits
Leeds United boss Marcelo Bielsa has revealed he wanted Cody Drameh to stay at Elland Road but the player pushed for a move to Cardiff City in pursuit of game-time.

Some Leeds fans were perplexed when their club allowed Drameh to leave on loan this week, given their club is enduring something of an injury crisis at present.

Drameh had made a few first-team appearances and Bielsa has confirmed he would have preferred for the player to stay at the Yorkshire club as they navigated through this difficult period.

However, the Leeds boss has said Drameh saw it "in a different way" and Bielsea respected the player's opinion.

"No, I did not think he needed to play games elsewhere," Bielsa said on Friday. "He was a player who was very necessary with all of the absences we have.

"He preferred to go and play outside of Leeds. In a situation with opportunities for youngsters has increased clearly, in this case, Drameh would prefer to experiment outside our team. I consider that position valid and I do not think it makes sense to oppose him. What I imagined as a great opportunity, he imagined it in a different way.

1F3C0F0E-0A57-4C10-AFE2-1BF1711584C3.jpeg

It's more important what he thinks than what I think. I don't think it's convenient to impose in a situation where a player does or does not want to belong."

While Drameh clearly went against what was proposed to him, Leeds' loss certainly seems to be Cardiff's gain.

It is hoped that Drameh will add much-needed pace to this Cardiff squad in the hope of pushing the team away from relegation in the back half of the season.

The 20-year-old right-back chose to do that over potentially getting minutes, albeit likely far fewer, in the Premier League.

However, Bielsa has no criticism of the player for making that decision, accepting that the two parties ultimately saw things differently and a decision was made.

"It's not disappointing," Bielsa added. "Having said that, a lot of the young players who have accompanied the first team have chosen to go elsewhere.

blewthrough

Ballon d'Or Winner
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
Reaction score
Reactions
36,010 204 43
Country
Mars
Credits
Reading a few of the pieces out there about this, seems Bielsa has taken this a bit personally.

Travis Bickle

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
👌👌👌 1000 PAGER 👌👌👌
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🏅 LIFETIME
ACHIEVEMENT 🏅
🤑£ RICHEST MEMBER £🤑
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
🔥 500,000th POST 🔥
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
121,797 308 67
Country
Wales
Credits
I bet the Leeds fans aren’t too pleased either as I don’t expect we’re one of the teams that they have a soft spot for:hehe:

blewthrough

Ballon d'Or Winner
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
Reaction score
Reactions
36,010 204 43
Country
Mars
Credits
I bet the Leeds fans aren’t too pleased either as I don’t expect we’re one of the teams that they have a soft spot for:hehe:

After the whole Dan James thing a while back, they probably prefer he go anywhere than the jacks

Jimmytaff

Sir Jim, Earl of Llandaf
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👑 KING OF THE FORUM 👑
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
~LMS Deutschland~
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ GILES
I ❤ BRIAN CLARK
I ❤ JASON PERRY
I ❤ KIEFFER MOORE
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
16,203 26 701
Country
Wales
Credits

BSP

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐🗐 20 PAGER 🗐🗐
Reaction score
Reactions
25,799 114 42
Country
Wales
Credits
Reading a few of the pieces out there about this, seems Bielsa has taken this a bit personally.
I certainly didn’t get that from this piece. To me he seems pragmatic and a willingness to put the player first in this case is admirable imo. It also suggests that the player has the right attitude, being so keen to play that he his happy to leave the glamorous Premier league to drop down a division and play in a potential relegation scrap. How many 20 year olds want to do that.

blewthrough

Ballon d'Or Winner
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
Reaction score
Reactions
36,010 204 43
Country
Mars
Credits
I certainly didn’t get that from this piece. To me he seems pragmatic and a willingness to put the player first in this case is admirable imo. It also suggests that the player has the right attitude, being so keen to play that he his happy to leave the glamorous Premier league to drop down a division and play in a potential relegation scrap. How many 20 year olds want to do that.

Down to interpretation I guess, just didn't seem that happy about the situation from my reading.

Just seen this ever so slightly OTT headline from the Mail, although not surprising they overreact, seems they have read it a certain way as well.

Marcelo Bielsa SLAMS youngster Cody Drameh for deciding to 'abandon' Leeds to join Cardiff on loan amid Elland Road injury crisis... as contract talks are opened with 'best player' Raphinha who is attracting interest from Liverpool and Bayern Munich​

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now

Latest Fun Bets