🏃 500 PAGER 🏃
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
PICKEM 18/19 - 1st Place
👂 Trusted Listener 👂
🐺 WOLFPACK 🐺
Credits
The article itself is in the articles section but here it is

Government officials remain in talks with football's governing bodies over the possibility of fans returning to matches in the near future

1600183831833-png.png

Cardiff City, Swansea City and Newport County have been told "the next 48 hours are critical" when it comes to the possibility of fans returning to stadiums.

Supporters have not been allowed to attend EFL matches since March owing to the coronavirus pandemic.

However, it was hoped that some fans would be allowed to watch games live as of October 1 as part of a process that would see supporters gradually return to the terraces.

But given the recent spike in coronavirus cases in the United Kingdom, government officials are holding fresh talks with football's governing bodies over how best to allow fans to return.

And the EFL's head of policy John Nagle has written to the 72 member clubs - including the Bluebirds, Swans and the Exiles, setting out what happens next.

"We now understand that the next 48 hours are likely to be critical in terms of determining the direction of travel on this issue," Nagle wrote in a letter

"Amongst other things, this will include a meeting between the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, Oliver Dowden MP and senior administrators from across sport, which will be attended by EFL chairman Rick Parry."

The letter states that EFL clubs will make a collective loss of £200million if fans do not return in the 2020-21 season, and have already lost £50m in gate income from last term.

"Failure to (allow fans to return), or to at least provide any credible roadmap back to the return of fans in the near future, could have catastrophic consequences for many football clubs and the communities they represent," the letter warned.

Read More: Cardiff and Swans told 'next 48 hours critical' amid warning over fans' return - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-swansea-city-newport-18939037

JAMIECCFC

Cymru am byth
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits

Nugent

***Top 10 poster***
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
₡ BOOKIES ₡
🏁 50 PAGER 🏁
🚗 MARIO KLARTS 🚗
Credits
Surely it's down to the welsh government?

TH63

Wolfpack Leader
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏃 500 PAGER 🏃
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
PICKEM 18/19 - 1st Place
👂 Trusted Listener 👂
🐺 WOLFPACK 🐺
Credits

Nugent

***Top 10 poster***
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
₡ BOOKIES ₡
🏁 50 PAGER 🏁
🚗 MARIO KLARTS 🚗
Credits
Dunno tbh, that’s an interesting point.
I reckon it has to be, they may even just let city fans in and no fans from England.
That means we could have the seats in the away end too for social distancing seats

Sir Barry Shitpeas

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 30 PAGER 🗐
Credits
If they allow a limited number of fans into Football league stadiums then I believe the Welsh Government will follow suit and allow the Welsh clubs to go ahead.

The thing that really annoys me is that there hasn’t been more test events. Surely to god allowing say 1000 in to a 33,400 seat CCS would be a piece of piss to organise.:shrug2:

JAMIECCFC

Cymru am byth
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
I thought that up to 300 fans were allowed into 2 Scottish games last weekend & it was the UK Gov that had put things on hold for Oct?
Not sure tbh thought i heard sturgeons name

Travis Bickle

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
🏁 1500 PAGER 🏁
~LAST MAN STANDING~
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🏅 LIFETIME AWARD 🏅
£ RICHEST MEMBER £
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
👌 CARDIFF LEGEND 👌
🔥 500,000th POST 🔥
1 MILLION THREAD VIEWS
$ BANK $
Credits

Jimmytaff

Sir Jim, Earl of Llandaf
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👑 FORUM KING 👑
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
~LMS Deutschland~
🖕 FUCK THE TORIES! 🖕
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ KEV MCNAUGHTON
I ❤ BRIAN CLARK
I ❤ RUBIN COLWILL
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
I thought that up to 300 fans were allowed into 2 Scottish games last weekend & it was the UK Gov that had put things on hold for Oct?
If the Jocks can have twice their usual crowds I think its unfair for is not to have any fans

Glos Blue

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
FOURCAST WINNER 22/23
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
₡ BOOKIES ₡
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
$ BANK $
👂 Trusted Listener 👂
Credits
I hate to agree with Stantona but I think he’s right. We’re rapidly heading toward a second wave & lockdown and football crowds are becoming less and less likely.

Sir Barry Shitpeas

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 30 PAGER 🗐
Credits
I hate to agree with Stantona but I think he’s right. We’re rapidly heading toward a second wave & lockdown and football crowds are becoming less and less likely.

But even if the current local restrictions aren’t effective, and this second wave does arrive, then given how much more knowledge we have, how much more prepared we are than we were in March, how used to it we’ve become, the apparently much lower rates of people getting seriously ill or dying, it surely cannot possibly be anywhere near as bad as the first one. Given all that, I just can’t see us having to have an actual lockdown (such that it is).

Glos Blue

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
FOURCAST WINNER 22/23
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
₡ BOOKIES ₡
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
$ BANK $
👂 Trusted Listener 👂
Credits
But even if the current local restrictions aren’t effective, and this second wave does arrive, then given how much more knowledge we have, how much more prepared we are than we were in March, how used to it we’ve become, the apparently much lower rates of people getting seriously ill or dying, it surely cannot possibly be anywhere near as bad as the first one. Given all that, I just can’t see us having to have an actual lockdown (such that it is).
If we do have a second lockdown, a large proportion of the general public will be less willing to cooperate and I don’t think we’ll have the ‘Dunkirk spirit’ of the first lockdown. Numerous breeches, civil unrest, mass unemployment - the list goes on.
Historically second waves are more severe than initial infections due to mutations etc.

I just can’t see football crowds returning for the foreseeable.

Activity
No activity at the moment...

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now