I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
👌 CARDIFF LEGEND 👌
🔥 500,000th POST 🔥
1 MILLION THREAD VIEWS
$ BANK $
Credits
5D79EB31-A3BD-4F5B-923E-2DFF9F81961A.jpeg

Wood st on the left, centre showing the cleared area where Temperance town was and Park st on the right showing the old Cardiff Empire telephone exchange

molefink

NOOB
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
Credits
Seems this guy has the low-down on who was where and the changes. Seems they were next door to eachother.

Re: South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards.
by lyndon56 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:38 pm

hi guys, re; memory lane cakes, I was a former employee of wonderloaf maindy lane Cardiff, sister company was wonder cakes maes y coed road heath Cardiff , the memory lane cakes were originally wonder cakes in Cardiff , the van livery was originally the same as wonderloaf , only wonderloaf was blue white and orange , and wonder cakes were red and a sort of creamy white colour, spillers owned both, then spillers changed the bread division to homepride bakeries, colour brown with a bakers picture on the side with bread all around him, same time spillers changed the cake division to memory lane cakes, then the bread division merged wonderloaf with coop bakeries and lyons bakeries ,then they changed the colours back to blue white and orange , then they called the company spillers French baking , then they went out of business , and sold the cake division to Finsbury foods, merrett's became sunblest and is next door to memory lane cakes , in maes y coed road Cardiff ,they now are known as kingsmill bakery's , mothers pride bought all the wonderloaf vehicles from our bakery,they then bought the old coop bakery in taffs well near Cardiff ,that bakery and my old bakery maindy in Cardiff are knocked down now ,they are student and housing sites now, my old bakery was a cracking big bakery great place to work, I started as a van boy, then a loader, then a slicer , and I worked as an oven plant hand finished up as a plant cleaner, most vehicles were fg's some bedfords , bakery served retail and wholesale, wish I had a picture of maindy lane Cardiff bakery and vans , brilliant place to work,
Seeing this prompted me to join this site.
I worked in both Wonder cakes and Wonderloaf. I started at Wonder Cakes in 1965 cleaning the fruit (currants, etc) on the machine (tottaly rotten job) next to the pots and pans cleaning place.
I the moved to Wonderloaf same year as a van boy on both the retail round ( delivering to Llandaff north and Gabalfa estates ) with the driver, I think his name was Stan, then very early shift on wholesale.
Only lasted a year terrible job.
I have attached a photo that was taken outside my house in Caldy Road Llandaff north.

wonder cakes van.jpg

The Colonel

Gaffer
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
👌 1000 PAGER 👌
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
FOURCAST WINNER 21/22
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
$ BANK $
Credits
I worked in both Wonder cakes and Wonderloaf. I started at Wonder Cakes in 1965 cleaning the fruit (currants, etc) on the machine (tottaly rotten job) next to the pots and pans cleaning place.
I the moved to Wonderloaf same year as a van boy on both the retail round ( delivering to Llandaff north and Gabalfa estates ) with the driver, I think his name was Stan, then very early shift on wholesale.
I have attached a photo that was taken outside my house in Caldy Road Llandaff north.

wonder cakes van.jpg
Welcome to the forum! Both my parents and my uncles are from Caldy Road, did you know any of the Baker family?

stantys tattoos

never sober
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🗐 200 PAGER 🗐
PICKEM 21/22 WINNER
PICKEM 19/20 WINNER
GTA 22/23 WINNER
~LMS Belarus~
₡ BOOKIES ₡
🔥 FIREMAN STANT 🔥
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ JASON PERRY
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Credits

wonder cakes van.jpg
welcome to the forum molefink :thumbup::bluebird:

The Colonel

Gaffer
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
👌 1000 PAGER 👌
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
FOURCAST WINNER 21/22
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
$ BANK $
Credits
Yes, we spent many happy times together, how is he? not seen him since maybe 1969 when I got married.
My name is Alan. Remember me to him.
Yeah he's good mate, I'll mention you to him when I see him :thumbup:

Travis Bickle

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
🏁 1500 PAGER 🏁
~LAST MAN STANDING~
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🏅 LIFETIME AWARD 🏅
£ RICHEST MEMBER £
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
👌 CARDIFF LEGEND 👌
🔥 500,000th POST 🔥
1 MILLION THREAD VIEWS
$ BANK $
Credits

wonder cakes van.jpg

:thumbup: Welcome to the forum

ViewFromAfar

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
Credits
Well don't leave me hanging, do you know him or what? :hehe:
Naah, never heard of him... :hehe:

Was in school with Malcolm....last I heard (I think via hillie ap willie) was that he was doing something to do with refurbing alternators or similar (???), That was a few years ago though.
Malcolm was always a big lad too!!

The Colonel

Gaffer
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
👌 1000 PAGER 👌
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
FOURCAST WINNER 21/22
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
$ BANK $
Credits
Naah, never heard of him... :hehe:

Was in school with Malcolm....last I heard (I think via hillie ap willie) was that he was doing something to do with refurbing alternators or similar (???), That was a few years ago though.
Malcolm was always a big lad too!!
Yeah he's got a little garage in Llandaff North and does motor repairs. So @Hilly ap Willie knows him as well does he?

Travis Bickle

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
🏁 1500 PAGER 🏁
~LAST MAN STANDING~
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🏅 LIFETIME AWARD 🏅
£ RICHEST MEMBER £
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺