Overpaying your mortgage

Bernie Clifton

Ballon d'Or Winner
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
Credits
How much do you need to overpay by to make a difference? Mine is 630ish a month and I've rounded it up to 700 and pay that. Will it make a difference in getting it down quicker?

CCFC_27

Fuck the Jacks
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
Credits
How much do you need to overpay by to make a difference? Mine is 630ish a month and I've rounded it up to 700 and pay that. Will it make a difference in getting it down quicker?
I think it can do, depends how long the mortgage is set for and what interest you're paying, etc. Not that I'm an accountant, speak to one of them, it's probably worth the cost or people wouldn't use them

Mad Al

Dwarf Quiz Winner
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🏁 50 PAGER 🏁
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
Paid ours off 6 years early, I chucked everything I had at it just to get rid and be debt free. Was worth the sacrifices made and would do it again if necessary.

TDA

The Fun Police
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
💰 JACKPOT! 💰
~LAST MAN STANDING~
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 200 PAGER 🗐
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Credits
It will make a difference whether the interest is calculated daily, monthly or annually. You also need to ensure that I overpayment is applied to the balance immediately not annually.

I think @Hillyboy61 is the one to aski.

Steve R

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 30 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
Your Mortgage company should have an overpayment calculator online. Ours does. :thumbup:

Even an extra £20 a month will make a difference surely?

Hilly ap Willie

Ballon d'Or Winner
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🗐 20 PAGER 🗐
Credits
It will make a difference whether the interest is calculated daily, monthly or annually. You also need to ensure that I overpayment is applied to the balance immediately not annually.

Spot on @TDA each lender has different methods of charging, collecting and applying interest. Some need a minimum payment for it to be allocated and when. If the lenders FAQ page doesn't give you the answer Bernie by all means give me a shout. :thumbup:

NumberAde

Ballon d'Or Winner
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
✪✪✪ CHAMPION ✪✪✪
PICKEM 20/21 WINNER
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
💩 CRAP JOKE 2022 💩
Credits

Careful you don't overpay too much. Usually it is capped at 10% and you are overpaying by about 11%. It will make a huge difference, but you may be able to get a better return on things like P2P loans.

NumberAde

Ballon d'Or Winner
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
✪✪✪ CHAMPION ✪✪✪
PICKEM 20/21 WINNER
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
💩 CRAP JOKE 2022 💩
Credits

Yeah, for mine I would have to pay more than £1000 for it to take effect immediately. I did try and move my 5 year fixed (2 years left) to a 10 year fixed but it would have cost £3k. Interest rates will start rising by the time my deal ends.

Lord Peter Flint

Rat-ta-tat-ta-tat!!!
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Credits
Typically if you on a variable rate (that is it has been many years that you’ve had the mortgage) then you should be able to pay off any amount. Just be aware that if you do direct debit, some lenders will periodically review the minimum amount you will pay each by assessing the principle over the existing term.
I got caught out by that so had to manually work out the ever changing (lowered) monthly direct then pay the difference I actually wanted to pay off each month...anyways I am now mortgage free :thumbup:

Your lender/banking practice I’m sure will be different so always read the small print!

Banks are crazy fools!

JAMIECCFC

Cymru am byth
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
I got a year left of my fixed rate, any advise if I should try and stick with a fixed rate or tracker?

lardy

biggest fucking hypocrite on the internet
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Fantasy Football 21/22
Fantasy Football 18/19
Credits
I got a year left of my fixed rate, any advise if I should try and stick with a fixed rate or tracker?

I'd go fixed. The next few years are very uncertain.

D

deleted

Are you really asking whether if you pay more than you have to you will reduce the term of your mortgage?

TDA

The Fun Police
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
💰 JACKPOT! 💰
~LAST MAN STANDING~
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 200 PAGER 🗐
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Credits
No I'm really asking if the amounts I've mentioned will make a *significant* difference.

:shrug:
Like a few people have said, it very much depends on the small print of your present mortgage deal. Your original mortgage offer should have all of the relevant information regarding how interest is charged and the effect of making overpayments.

Bernie Clifton

Ballon d'Or Winner
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
Credits
Like a few people have said, it very much depends on the small print of your present mortgage deal. Your original mortgage offer should have all of the relevant information regarding how interest is charged and the effect of making overpayments.

I know, am syill digging out the paperwork. It's a 10% limit but not sure how the interest is charged.

Hilly ap Willie

Ballon d'Or Winner
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🗐 20 PAGER 🗐
Credits
Typically if you on a variable rate (that is it has been many years that you’ve had the mortgage) then you should be able to pay off any amount. Just be aware that if you do direct debit, some lenders will periodically review the minimum amount you will pay each by assessing the principle over the existing term.
I got caught out by that so had to manually work out the ever changing (lowered) monthly direct then pay the difference I actually wanted to pay off each month...anyways I am now mortgage free

Your lender/banking practice I’m sure will be different so always read the small print!

Banks are crazy fools!
I know, am syill digging out the paperwork. It's a 10% limit but not sure how the interest is charged.

Bernie the 10% limit normally only applies during a “special rate” period, such as a fix or discounted rate for the first x years. You’re better off going onto the lender’s website and checking out their faq’s section. If the answer isn’t there then phone them as the frontline staff of the major lenders are very good.
Your mortgage offer sets out all the info tho, if you can find it. :thumbup:

Activity
No activity at the moment...

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now