⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
👌 1000 PAGER 👌
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
FOURCAST WINNER 21/22
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
$ BANK $
Credits
I bought a second-hand Asus RT-N66U router a few years ago and wondering if it might be time to replace it because the power button broke, one of the aerials wont tighten and the signal doesn't seem to be reaching the back of the house any more.

oVCH52w.png

So can anyone recommend a decent router that won't cost a fortune?

Eat Y'self Fitter

Kicker Conspiracist
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
PICKEM 17/18 - 1st Place
Credits
I bought a second-hand Asus RT-N66U router a few years ago and wondering if it might be time to replace it because the power button broke, one of the aerials wont tighten and the signal doesn't seem to be reaching the back of the house any more.

oVCH52w.png

So can anyone recommend a decent router that won't cost a fortune?

I can't, but if you already use homeplugs you can get a homeplug WIFI adapter cheaply which we use to get internet in the conservatory / garden (yeah yeah @TH63)

The Colonel

Gaffer
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
👌 1000 PAGER 👌
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
FOURCAST WINNER 21/22
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
$ BANK $
Credits
I can't, but if you already use homeplugs you can get a homeplug WIFI adapter cheaply which we use to get internet in the conservatory / garden (yeah yeah @TH63)
Yeah we tried the TP-Link ones but didn't have much joy with them, similar story with wifi repeaters. The only thing that worked was the router but that seems to work less well these days.

Eat Y'self Fitter

Kicker Conspiracist
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
PICKEM 17/18 - 1st Place
Credits
Yeah we tried the TP-Link ones but didn't have much joy with them, similar story with wifi repeaters. The only thing that worked was the router but that seems to work less well these days.

The one we've got can be a bit flaky TBH but as it's not used all the time we put up with it. Routers seem to be a bit of a niche market these days seeing as most people get on fine with the ones supplied by their ISP and some have even upped their game a bit.

TH63

Wolfpack Leader
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏃 500 PAGER 🏃
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
PICKEM 18/19 - 1st Place
👂 Trusted Listener 👂
🐺 WOLFPACK 🐺
Credits
Doesn't your broadband provider give you a router?

I've got sky fibre and have one of these

1617794832265.png

The Colonel

Gaffer
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
👌 1000 PAGER 👌
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
FOURCAST WINNER 21/22
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
$ BANK $
Credits
The one we've got can be a bit flaky TBH but as it's not used all the time we put up with it. Routers seem to be a bit of a niche market these days seeing as most people get on fine with the ones supplied by their ISP and some have even upped their game a bit.
Doesn't your broadband provider give you a router?

I've got sky fibre and have one of these

1617794832265.png
Yeah the modem Virgin gave us isn't up to the job itself really.

It has been a few years since we got that modem though, maybe I'll call and ask them if there's a newer version they could send and I'll try that before splashing out on a new router.

TDA

The Fun Police
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
💰 JACKPOT! 💰
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 200 PAGER 🗐
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Credits
I have got a Linksys router piggybacking on the one that the internet provider installed. The benefit is that I have installed ExpressVPN on the Linksys, so everything that connects via that (inc smart TVs) is protected. No need to install the VPN on the individual devices.

Steve R

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 30 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
Why don't they do white routers? :coat:

Activity