WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
20,638 184 63
Country
Italy
Credits
Was 10/1 to score and be booked this morning, was down to 3/1 in 20 mins, won a lot of bucks for some lucky people not me though :nope: seen it too late :facepalm:had him at Evs for anytime goalscorer but only had 2 quid left :hehe: and reached my deposit limit :hehe: what a player

kiffa

(kippa)
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
₡ BOOKIE ₡
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
27,730 206 168
Country
Jamaica
Credits
Billy Goats Gruff

stantys tattoos

never sober
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
PICKEM 19/20 WINNER
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
~LMS Belarus~
😈 Prince of Darkness 😈
I ❤ JASON PERRY
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
68,240 588 104
Country
Wales
Credits
There was a player that had the nickname "The galloping Major" who was it?
_38282477_together300.jpg

PlumberAde

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
✪✪✪ CHAMPION ✪✪✪
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
PICKEM 20/21 WINNER
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
Reaction score
Reactions
16,956 63 25
Credits
In the modern era yes. 30-50 years ago would he be ahead of Pele, Maradona Cruyff?

Yes. Miles ahead of Pele. Streets ahead of Cruyff. A couple of houses up from Maradona.

Cardiff City ForumOff TopicFun Bets

Dr Lecter

Stanty’s Ex.
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🎰 HIGHEST ROLLER 🎰
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💰 BIGGEST WIN 💰
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
20,336 38 64
Country
Wales
Credits
Yes. Miles ahead of Pele. Streets ahead of Cruyff. A couple of houses up from Maradona.
Hard to compare players from different eras.

Imagine how good those players would have been with today’s coaching, fitness, diet, technology etc.

By the same token you could argue that those players had more to contend with because they got kicked and battered n a way that modern players would never understand.

Also, it’s hard to compare players like Ronaldo and Maradona because they’re totally different types of player. Obviously Ronaldo is far more athletic and driven than Diego but in terms of pure skill and trickery Ronaldo doesn’t even come close.

Same goes for the Messi v Ronaldo argument. For me Ronaldo is superior in many ways - physicality, determination, heading, power, pace etc. - but Messi has that ability to do things that nobody else can do. I remember reading an article a few years back that summed it up far better than I ever could - basically saying that Ronaldo created the exceptional player that he has become through physical development and sheer determination, whereas Messi was always naturally exceptional despite not having the physical attributes most players need to thrive in the modern game.

Personally I think we should just appreciate that we’ve been lucky enough to have two of the greatest ever players around at the same time pushing each other to be the best.

Dr Lecter

Stanty’s Ex.
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🎰 HIGHEST ROLLER 🎰
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💰 BIGGEST WIN 💰
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
20,336 38 64
Country
Wales
Credits

PlumberAde

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
✪✪✪ CHAMPION ✪✪✪
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
PICKEM 20/21 WINNER
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
Reaction score
Reactions
16,956 63 25
Credits

Apart from highlights of goals, I have never been as blown away by Messi as I have been by Ronaldo. Ronaldo has achieved more at international level too and I think he just brings more to a team than Messi although Messi seems to have less of an ego.

PlumberAde

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
✪✪✪ CHAMPION ✪✪✪
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
PICKEM 20/21 WINNER
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
Reaction score
Reactions
16,956 63 25
Credits

Imagine how good those players would have been with today’s coaching, fitness, diet, technology etc.

By the same token you could argue that those players had more to contend with because they got kicked and battered n a way that modern players would never understand.

Also, it’s hard to compare players like Ronaldo and Maradona because they’re totally different types of player. Obviously Ronaldo is far more athletic and driven than Diego but in terms of pure skill and trickery Ronaldo doesn’t even come close.

Same goes for the Messi v Ronaldo argument. For me Ronaldo is superior in many ways - physicality, determination, heading, power, pace etc. - but Messi has that ability to do things that nobody else can do. I remember reading an article a few years back that summed it up far better than I ever could - basically saying that Ronaldo created the exceptional player that he has become through physical development and sheer determination, whereas Messi was always naturally exceptional despite not having the physical attributes most players need to thrive in the modern game.

Personally I think we should just appreciate that we’ve been lucky enough to have two of the greatest ever players around at the same time pushing each other to be the best.

Fair points doc, and they had heavier balls back then too.

Talking about "getting kicked" have you heard some of the players from the 2000s claiming that they used to get kicked. Clinton Morrison was the one I heard on radio Sunday claiming the game was much tougher in his day. :hehe:

Dr Lecter

Stanty’s Ex.
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🎰 HIGHEST ROLLER 🎰
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💰 BIGGEST WIN 💰
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
20,336 38 64
Country
Wales
Credits

Talking about "getting kicked" have you heard some of the players from the 2000s claiming that they used to get kicked. Clinton Morrison was the one I heard on radio Sunday claiming the game was much tougher in his day. :hehe:
I’m surprised you could even understand what he was saying.

Man’s like a black Stanty.

Dr Lecter

Stanty’s Ex.
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🎰 HIGHEST ROLLER 🎰
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💰 BIGGEST WIN 💰
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
20,336 38 64
Country
Wales
Credits

Almost forgot….

“they had heavier balls back then too”

:mrsr:

lardy

biggest fucking hypocrite on the internet
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Fantasy Football 18/19
Reaction score
Reactions
10,095 66 19
Credits
I'll take Messi over Ronaldo every time - but jeez, he's making it hard to stick to my guns.

The winning header last night was mindblowingly good.

lardy

biggest fucking hypocrite on the internet
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Fantasy Football 18/19
Reaction score
Reactions
10,095 66 19
Credits

Yeah that article is about right for me. Messi is the most skilful player I've ever known. Ronaldos goalscoring numbers are incredible, and becoming more so every year, but Messi does things no one else can.

There are YouTube videos just showing Messi through balls. You watch that and think this guy might be the greatest central midfielder of all time.

And then you watch a video of his dribbling.

Messi was the best of his era in a range of abilities.

bluethrough™

Ballon d'Or Winner
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
Reaction score
Reactions
32,256 201 43
Country
Mars
Credits
Cant't believe that everyone has totally overlooked Grealish in this "who's best" discussion.

Norris Cole

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ BIG MICK
I ❤ LEE TOMLIN
Reaction score
Reactions
12,202 224 178
Credits
Choosing between Ronaldo or Messi is like choosing between shirt or trousers. Its pointless.

TDA

publish and be damned!
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
21,138 292 46
Country
United-Kingdom
Credits

I am lucky enough to have seen Pelé and George Best play in their prime and their brilliance cannot be doubted. The comment about how would modern players have coped with the physicality of the 1960 and 1970s football id often trotted out, but I would turn that around and wonder how the likes of Best and Pelé might have performed in modern day football, with the amount of protection afforded to players by the refs.

This is quite a long watch, but includes some rarer clips of the young Best when he made his debut for NI against Scotland. He was unplayable that day. What I have always admired about both Best and Pelé was their desire to stay on their feet and beat an opponent fair and square, no matter what rough treatment they were getting.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now