I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
24,793 61 167
Country
Wales
Credits
This has bugged me for many a year, especially having extensively travelled all over the Welsh coast and speaking to the locals, the story is always the same.

They are constantly being priced out of the areas where they were born and it's heartbreaking. The Welsh language is being dissected, fanikies being separated, historic place and house names are being lost and these areas are becoming ghost towns for 46 weeks of the year.

Now before some Tory bummers jump on an anti English ticket, I know loads of Welsh people who own properties out there, which is all part of the same problem. We even looked at one in the past but decided against it. That's not to mention UK estate agents with offices in the Middle East / Russia etc and obviously online is availae to anyone.

But what do the mostly honourable people of the good shipp OOCC suggest might be the answer?

The current restrictions have been very easy to circumnavigate, and in any case, council tax rises and other payments are easily paid by the cash rich.

I think a Tourism Tax like you see all over the world, paid directly into a pot for building actually affordable homes in said areas would help massively. These would have to be priced at say 3 times the average local income.

BBC News - Second homes in Wales: Pilot scheme planned to tackle 'crisis'

0_Screenshot-2021-05-01-at-155323.png

ViewFromAfar

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
Reaction score
Reactions
11,091 2 6
Credits
My first thought Arf is people can only buy if people are prepared to sell...unless you mean new builds too.
Its a minefield of a question/situation but if the locals are prepared to sell then maybe they are part of the problem too.
If its an inherited property then it would be down to the vendor(s) to make some sort of indication that they will only sell to locals...but how they would do that I'm not sure.

I see your point re a Tourist Tax..In Spain property owners are taxed on any income from letting their property. The Tax Authorities work with the Energy Companies re consumption of power when properties are allegedly left empty and therefore not attracting any Tax.

Last edited:

Jimmytaff

Sir Jim, Earl of Llandaf
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
~LMS Deutschland~
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ KEV MCNAUGHTON
I ❤ BRIAN CLARK
I ❤ JASON PERRY
I ❤ JOEL BAGAN
I ❤ ISAAK DAVIES
I ❤ RUBIN COLWILL
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
21,339 5 704
Country
Wales
Credits
It is a problem but there's no easy answer. House prices are too high generally. Most homes in Cardiff nowadays are unaffordable without substantial help from a rich family. What's being done about that?

ViewFromAfar

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
Reaction score
Reactions
11,091 2 6
Credits
It is a problem but there's no easy answer. House prices are too high generally. Most homes in Cardiff nowadays are unaffordable without substantial help from a rich family. What's being done about that?
As mad as the prices are it doesnt seem to stop them building and expanding Cardiff. I drove down the Llantrisant Rd from Groes Faen to Radyr a couple of weekends ago for the first time in about 20 years and was shocked to see the housing development that's gone on....and the associated poxy speed restrictions!

JAMIECCFC

Cymru am byth
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
24,544 35 66
Country
United-States
Credits
As mad as the prices are it doesnt seem to stop them building and expanding Cardiff. I drove down the Llantrisant Rd from Groes Faen to Radyr a couple of weekends ago for the first time in about 20 years and was shocked to see the housing development that's gone on....and the associated poxy speed restrictions!
Was the same for me, hadn’t drove down there for a good while, what I can’t understand who are the people who can afford them :shrug2: I drove through llanharan earlier by that dragons studios and there’s also loads of new houses there average price 300k :nope: minimum wage with 2 people with absolutely no financial commitments could get you 150k mortgage, so who the bloody hell are we building all these houses for

ViewFromAfar

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
Reaction score
Reactions
11,091 2 6
Credits
Was the same for me, hadn’t drove down there for a good while, what I can’t understand who are the people who can afford them :shrug2: I drove through llanharan earlier by that dragons studios and there’s also loads of new houses there average price 300k :nope: minimum wage with 2 people with absolutely no financial commitments could get you 150k mortgage, so who the bloody hell are we building all these houses for
I wondered the same mate. Did you notice the motors outside quite a number of those houses as well by Dragon Studios? Finance and Mortgage is fine but it all has to be paid for somehow and where the feck do they work? :shrug:

Joecity

Pickem World Cup Winner 2018
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
✤✤✤✤ 400 PAGER ✤✤✤✤
Reaction score
Reactions
20,764 18 21
Country
British-Antarctic-Territory
Credits

Fuck all.

Joecity

Pickem World Cup Winner 2018
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
✤✤✤✤ 400 PAGER ✤✤✤✤
Reaction score
Reactions
20,764 18 21
Country
British-Antarctic-Territory
Credits
Housing in Britain is a joke and everyone who thought it was dead good seeing their home stupidly increase in value will be gutted if they have more than one kid to help get on the ladder.Won't be funny then.

stantys tattoos

never sober
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐🗐🗐🗐 200 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐🗐
PICKEM 21/22 WINNER
PICKEM 19/20 WINNER
~LMS Belarus~
₡ BOOKIE ₡
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ JASON PERRY
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
79,079 56 125
Country
Wales
Credits
I wondered the same mate. Did you notice the motors outside quite a number of those houses as well by Dragon Studios? Finance and Mortgage is fine but it all has to be paid for somehow and where the feck do they work? :shrug:
i'm sure my mate from bargoed (ex landlord) owns or part owns dragon studios tbh

JAMIECCFC

Cymru am byth
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
24,544 35 66
Country
United-States
Credits
Absolutely mental, in the 90s they sent all the heroin addicts from the valleys down there :hehe:you couldn’t pay people to live there now charging more that a QTR of a million, same as church village then they started with all those red row houses

Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Indy Wales
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👥 GTAM WINNER 👥
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
24,793 61 167
Country
Wales
Credits
Absolutely mental, in the 90s they sent all the heroin addicts from the valleys down there :hehe:you couldn’t pay people to live there now charging more that a QTR of a million, same as church village then they started with all those red row houses

So who the fuck is buying up all these houses at those prices...

:sherlock:

ViewFromAfar

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
Reaction score
Reactions
11,091 2 6
Credits
Some of them are still walking the streets! :hehe:

stantys tattoos

never sober
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐🗐🗐🗐 200 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐🗐
PICKEM 21/22 WINNER
PICKEM 19/20 WINNER
~LMS Belarus~
₡ BOOKIE ₡
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ JASON PERRY
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
79,079 56 125
Country
Wales
Credits
small

stantys tattoos

never sober
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐🗐🗐🗐 200 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐🗐
PICKEM 21/22 WINNER
PICKEM 19/20 WINNER
~LMS Belarus~
₡ BOOKIE ₡
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ JASON PERRY
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
79,079 56 125
Country
Wales
Credits
Think you have a valid answer there Stanty.
my cousin lived in penarth then nelson now moving further up the valleys. new builds are a rip off why not buy a nice valley terraced house with a nice garden for a third/quarter of the price

TDA

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🗐🗐🗐🗐 200 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐🗐
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
25,318 51 51
Country
Qatar
Credits
There was exactly the same argument in 1963 when my parents bought a holiday cottage in West Wales. Lovely little detached house and garden cost £1,300 with a 30 year 95% mortgage from Llandyssul Council, who were desperate to attract buyers to the area. It had been empty for two years as young locals were more interested in either getting a council house or moving to Swansea.

These situations are still driven by the desire to attract new money into an area. If you are now looking at £300,000 second homes, then I should think the local councils concerned are very happy.

Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Indy Wales
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👥 GTAM WINNER 👥
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
24,793 61 167
Country