🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
35,572 13 295
Country
Wales
Credits
Somewhere on here is a graph which explains the amount of people living in the coastal areas of Wales, who own second homes in England or abroad.

Funnily enough it never gets mentioned.

:thumbup:
Do your own research

Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Indy Wales
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👥 GTAM WINNER 👥
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
24,794 61 167
Country
Wales
Credits
I'll let the locals struggling to secure a property in their home towns, explain the facts on the front line to the likes of Splott Dai and TDA:

BBC News - Second homes: Tenby rappers vent second home frustration

TDA

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🗐🗐🗐🗐 200 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐🗐
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
25,318 51 51
Country
Qatar
Credits
I'll let the locals struggling to secure a property in their home towns, explain the facts on the front line to the likes of Splott Dai and TDA:

BBC News - Second homes: Tenby rappers vent second home frustration
It doesn't need to be explained to me, thank you.

As I have posted twice, we saw the birth of this problem 60 years ago. West Wales was desperate to boost tourism as the younger generation didn't want to get involved in farming (too much like hard work) and many moved to Swansea - Cardiff was too far away.

We had the Free Wales Army burning second homes, something roundly condemned by most locals as it was perceived to have an adverse affect on an already struggling economy.

Properties lay empty for years until the holidaymakers (mainly from the Midlands) who had been enticed in in the first place saw the benefit of second property ownership. The local authorities were only too eager to encourage this with cheap and readily available finance.

Yes, inflation has played its part over 60 years, but it is a situation that was kick-started and encouraged by West Wales' itself.

TDA

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🗐🗐🗐🗐 200 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐🗐
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
25,318 51 51
Country
Qatar
Credits

Indy Wales
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👥 GTAM WINNER 👥
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
24,794 61 167
Country
Wales
Credits
Gwel yr Wyddfa is a housing estate built by Angelsey Homes. Sandy Retreat is the name given to this now completed particular cul de sac of boxes.

All the more reason to continue with the Welsh naming convention then?

TDA

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🗐🗐🗐🗐 200 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐🗐
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
25,318 51 51
Country
Qatar
Credits
All the more reason to continue with the Welsh naming convention then?
Maybe, but the property developer in partnership with the locals is in the business of selling a concept, so Sandy Reach, Warren Point or Snowdonia View will mean far more to a Cheshire or Merseyside buyer.

Looking at the Sykes Cottages website, about 30% of the 700 properties to rent have anglicised names, but the point is that the orignal twitter thing had implied that a single house name had been changed, whereas it was a simple local authority registration of the whole road on adoption of that phase of the development.

A quick look at the company website and the situation is clear, but much more 2022 to be seen to be offended by quoting something completely out of context.

Worse

Ballon d'Or Winner
☢ TITANIUM VIP ☢
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Reaction score
Reactions
7,389 14 562
Credits
These wankers actually seem proud to have done this...

😡

You're pissing into the wind with this Arfur. The more that Welsh Nationalists find insignificant thing to get offended by, the more the rest of the population are reminded of their violent past.
You just end up shitting on your own porch, reconfirming to the rest of the population, that Welsh Nationlism really hasn't moved on from the bombing threats to the Royal family, or the burning down of 200 homes.

Jimmytaff

Sir Jim, Earl of Llandaf
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
~LMS Deutschland~
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ KEV MCNAUGHTON
I ❤ BRIAN CLARK
I ❤ JASON PERRY
I ❤ JOEL BAGAN
I ❤ ISAAK DAVIES
I ❤ RUBIN COLWILL
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
21,339 5 704
Country
Wales
Credits
You're pissing into the wind with this Arfur. The more that Welsh Nationalists find insignificant thing to get offended by, the more the rest of the population are reminded of their violent past.
You just end up shitting on your own porch, reconfirming to the rest of the population, that Welsh Nationlism really hasn't moved on from the bombing threats to the Royal family, or the burning down of 200 homes.
I don't think people will make that link - I think you overestimate people's knowledge of history and their interest.

@TDA 's point is interesting. Seems like most of the outrage is based on a poorly phrased tweet.

There should be resistance to name changes in my opinion but more with OS maps etc rather than homeowners who ultimately can rename their property should they wish though I would rather they didn't.

Place names are a part of history, social fabric and tradition and shouldn't be needlessly trifled with.

Knees up Brian Clark

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐🗐🗐🗐 200 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐🗐
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
15,776 7 18
Country
Wales
Credits
:hehe:I was around for all those things…and I know little or nothing about them other than it wasnt taken seriously by most people,back in the day

Worse

Ballon d'Or Winner
☢ TITANIUM VIP ☢
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Reaction score
Reactions
7,389 14 562
Credits
:hehe:I was around for all those things…and I know little or nothing about them other than it wasnt taken seriously by most people,back in the day
Well I assure you I was around at that time as well.

Which things precisely were not taken seriously?
How about the threat to bomb the Royal train? Or maybe the threat to blow up the Royal Yacht.

The Queen seemed to take it seriously, she was in bed for a week with nervous exhaustion after the Investiture.

The families that had two hundred homes burnt out seemed to take it seriously.

The police and Special Branch took it seriously, as they dId in WW2, when the names of two hundred Welsh Nationalists were on a list of people to be arrested and interned immediately, if it was required.

Knees up Brian Clark

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐🗐🗐🗐 200 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐🗐
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
15,776 7 18
Country
Wales
Credits
Well I assure you I was around at that time as well.

Which things precisely were not taken seriously?
How about the threat to bomb the Royal train? Or maybe the threat to blow up the Royal Yacht.

The Queen seemed to take it seriously, she was in bed for a week with nervous exhaustion after the Investiture.

The families that had two hundred homes burnt out seemed to take it seriously.

The police and Special Branch took it seriously, as they dId in WW2, when the names of two hundred Welsh Nationalists were on a list of people to be arrested and interned immediately, if it was required.
as I said it was generally mocked

Indy Wales
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👥 GTAM WINNER 👥
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
24,794 61 167
Country
Wales
Credits
Maybe, but the property developer in partnership with the locals is in the business of selling a concept, so Sandy Reach, Warren Point or Snowdonia View will mean far more to a Cheshire or Merseyside buyer.

Looking at the Sykes Cottages website, about 30% of the 700 properties to rent have anglicised names, but the point is that the orignal twitter thing had implied that a single house name had been changed, whereas it was a simple local authority registration of the whole road on adoption of that phase of the development.

A quick look at the company website and the situation is clear, but much more 2022 to be seen to be offended by quoting something completely out of context.

Someone's done a bit more digging on this one which might interest you @TDA

small

TDA

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🗐🗐🗐🗐 200 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐🗐
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
25,318 51 51
Country
Qatar
Credits
Someone's done a bit more digging on this one which might interest you @TDA

Fair enough, but something doesn't add up.

The original tweet from Angelsey Homes is "We've renamed ......... our property". According to the second message Angelsey Homes do not own the property and it has not been "renamed", just named. Also why quote "9 Sandy Reach", if the road is still Gwel y Wyddfa? The postal address on the Sykes site is "9 Gwel-y-Wyddfa", so, if anything, the original tweet should have said that the house is now called "Sandy Reach, 9 Gwel-y-Wyddfa"

Someone is either telling porkies or making mischief ....... there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Worse

Ballon d'Or Winner
☢ TITANIUM VIP ☢
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Reaction score
Reactions
7,389 14 562
Credits

The original tweet from Angelsey Homes is "We've renamed ......... our property". According to the second message Angelsey Homes do not own the property and it has not been "renamed", just named. Also why quote "9 Sandy Reach", if the road is still Gwel y Wyddfa? The postal address on the Sykes site is "9 Gwel-y-Wyddfa", so, if anything, the original tweet should have said that the house is now called "Sandy Reach, 9 Gwel-y-Wyddfa"

Someone is either telling porkies or making mischief ....... there is no such thing as bad publicity.
Bloody mischief making Welsh Nationalists, trying for a burning of the Reichstag moment, to convince the population to drive out the English.

TDA

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
🗐🗐🗐🗐 200 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐🗐
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
$ BANK $
Reaction score
Reactions
25,318 51 51
Country
Qatar
Credits
The things I do for this board :hehe:

Just popped over between Wordle and Waffle to snap this pic. Who in their right mind would want to spend a holiday here anyway?

220624a.jpg

Jimmytaff

Sir Jim, Earl of Llandaf
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
~LMS Deutschland~
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ KEV MCNAUGHTON
I ❤ BRIAN CLARK
I ❤ JASON PERRY
I ❤ JOEL BAGAN
I ❤ ISAAK DAVIES
I ❤ RUBIN COLWILL
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
21,339 5 704
Country
Wales
Credits

Only seen what's posted here. Clearly, the backlash was unexpected so they've either clarified a mistake or shifted the blame and scraped up some excuses.

My take is its the usual Twitter outrage - someone didn't think much about articulatimg something they considered innocuous, someone sees it and is tamping and gets a self righteous campaign going presenting one side and not too interested in context as it furthers their cause or ego. They get the attention they want, 'win' to extent and look for the next thing to be upset about.

Latest Fun Bets