Should a black dude play James Bond next?

QM Redux

Ballon d'Or Winner
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
1,897 174 369
Credits
Jesus, what an absolute nightmare it is talking to you, you're all over the shop.

I know Bond isn't set in the bloody 50's, what we were talking about was "what if Bond was originally cast as a black man" to which you oddly responded "it would hardly have tapped into black culture" to which I disagreed.

It's hard work trying to remind you of what the conversation is about, could you just scroll back and look before responding?
You raised the issue of the 50s, not me...

The Bond series is a spy / action movie genre. The ethnicity and colour of the Bond character isn't that relevant especially for modern day movies. Shaft on the other hand was specifically cast and shot to reflect black culture... written about an African-American private detective, the book was handled by one of few African-American literary agents.

There's zero way Shaft could have featured a white person as the main character without a massive re-write, changing the intent of the film. The same isn't true about a non white male Bond movie.

Uncle Fester

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
7,301 27 3
Credits
It will be good in the next one if Bond pulls a right sort. Gets her drunk on martinis and gets her back to to his luxury hotel suite. Takes her knicks down and is faced with a length Ron Jeremy would be proud.
Got to include our transgender friends as well in this.

The Colonel

Gaffer
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
🎩 700 PAGER 🎩
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
₡ BOOKIE ₡
Reaction score
Reactions
86,273 2,449 233
Credits
You raised the issue of the 50s, not me...

The Bond series is a spy / action movie genre. The ethnicity and colour of the Bond character isn't that relevant especially for modern day movies. Shaft on the other hand was specifically cast and shot to reflect black culture... written about an African-American private detective, the book was handled by one of few African-American literary agents.

There's zero way Shaft could have featured a white person as the main character without a massive re-write, changing the intent of the film. The same isn't true about a non white male Bond movie.
Not the way I look at it.

If you cast a white Shaft you would have to pretend that the character's past was completely different from what has been shown previously.

Likewise, if you cast a black Bond you would have to also rewrite his past in your mind, because a black Bond would not have had the same past as a white Bond, not in a million years.

QM Redux

Ballon d'Or Winner
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
1,897 174 369
Credits
Not the way I look at it.

If you cast a white Shaft you would have to pretend that the character's past was completely different from what has been shown previously.

Likewise, if you cast a black Bond you would have to also rewrite his past in your mind, because a black Bond would not have had the same past as a white Bond, not in a million years.
With Shaft, would also change current and future though. Would be a totally different story.

Dr Lecter

Stanty’s keeper
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
8,913 47 26
Credits

The Colonel

Gaffer
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
🎩 700 PAGER 🎩
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
₡ BOOKIE ₡
Reaction score
Reactions
86,273 2,449 233
Credits
With Shaft, would also change current and future though. Would be a totally different story.
Changing race would inherently change both characters stories in different ways, that's my point, it's absurd.

The fact is, if it was proposed that Shaft would be changed to a white actor then people would have a problem with it and they'd quite rightly be heard.

But for Bond we just ignore everyone that would have a problem with it, probably just tell them they're being racist if they don't like it.

Steve R

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
31,878 816 88
Credits
Blackfinger lol rofl

TH63