❷ 2 YEARS ❷
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
Reaction score
Reactions
15,458 662 40
Credits
1599546201603.png

Some interesting comments from West Brom about the structure and funding of the EFL and Championship in particular. Think the observations are about spot on.

Former West Brom chief executive Mark Jenkins says the club "had to get out" of the Championship - and has called for a "change in the structure" of the English Football League.

Jenkins retired from his role with the Baggies last month after their promotion back into the Premier League, ending an 18-year association with the West Midlands club.

West Brom return to the top flight two years after being relegated to the Championship and Jenkins told BBC Sport:

• The Championship is a "great product, poorly marketed";
  • He is not in favour of salary caps and would prefer limits on squads instead;
  • Having club directors on the EFL board is a "conflict of interest";
  • Media deals are not good enough, making it "very difficult for football clubs to survive without owners putting money in".
"Football needs to sort itself out," said Jenkins. "If anything has happened through Covid, it is that there has to be a change in the structure of the EFL. There has to be real pressure on the EFL at the moment to change."

'We had to get out of that league' - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54046448

Malarkey

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❶ 1 YEAR ❶
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
I ❤ PATO
Reaction score
Reactions
12,789 176 36
Credits
Sky, BT, BBC, the national press, Talksport and all the rest are obsessed with the Premier League.
Given that the Championship is the fourth best supported league in the world (or was?) surely we're worth better than a highlights package on Quest.
Not that I'm knocking Quest. I think they do a decent job of televising the whole EFL. Just annoys me somewhat that the BBC can find time to show womens football and promote it as "elite".

BLUE TUESDAY

FORUMS ADONIS
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⌚ GOALTIME WINNER ⌚
I ❤ NEIL HARRIS
WEED CLUB
Reaction score
Reactions
10,557 175 8
Credits
Sky, BT, BBC, the national press, Talksport and all the rest are obsessed with the Premier League.
Given that the Championship is the fourth best supported league in the world (or was?) surely we're worth better than a highlights package on Quest.
Not that I'm knocking Quest. I think they do a decent job of televising the whole EFL. Just annoys me somewhat that the BBC can find time to show womens football and promote it as "elite".
Well there you have the agenda setters Mal
The championship has got a huge following too mate :thumbup:

Jamieccfc

Master! Master!
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❶ 1 YEAR ❶
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
I ❤ NEIL HARRIS
Reaction score
Reactions
14,276 441 54
Credits
I disagree with him with the salary cap, I think it would be better for everyone if there was a salary cap throughout all of football, would make it a lot more competitive and bring in more audience

Travis Bickle

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
👌👌👌 1000 PAGER 👌👌👌
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🏅 LIFETIME
ACHIEVEMENT 🏅
I ❤ NEIL HARRIS
🔥 500,000th POST 🔥
Reaction score
Reactions
73,608 729 51
Credits
The Premiership is full of bloodsuckers who use the Championship as feeder clubs and hoover up all the talent, on top of that they rely on Championship teams to give their young players match time experience.

The championship is run by people who seem to have their favourite teams, and you know who I‘m talking about:hehe: They also need to stand up to Sky and demand more money.

Jimmytaff

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❶ 1 YEAR ❶
~LMS Deutschland~
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Reaction score
Reactions
3,629 714 692
Credits
I disagree with him with the salary cap, I think it would be better for everyone if there was a salary cap throughout all of football, would make it a lot more competitive and bring in more audience
For it to be meaningful every major league would need to agree to which seems highly unlikely. The FFP principles are solid but ate easily danced around and poorly enforced.

Jamieccfc

Master! Master!
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❶ 1 YEAR ❶
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
I ❤ NEIL HARRIS
Reaction score
Reactions
14,276 441 54
Credits
For it to be meaningful every major league would need to agree to which seems highly unlikely. The FFP principles are solid but ate easily danced around and poorly enforced.
It would never be approved by the top 5, I like the concept with NFL as the league is built so you will find it harder next season if you win, which is back on Thursday Friday morning for us :warnock: chiefs vs Texans, @stantys tattoos can’t wait

Eat Y'self Fitter

Kicker Conspiracist
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
PICKEM 17/18 - 1st Place
Reaction score
Reactions
22,040 763 83
Credits
Just annoys me somewhat that the BBC can find time to show womens football and promote it as "elite".
I'd suggest that's more to do with the womens football rights being cheap. Lots of pressure on the BBC to justify their spending and the women's football would have a broader appeal amongst louder voices that the EFL.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now