The Grassroots footy thread

Woody

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Credits
There must be a few of us on here playing, coaching or watching grassroots footy so I thought we could have a thread where we can recount our triumphs and nightmares this season.

I've mentioned elsewhere that Junior Woody, future City & Wales keeper, has switched his allegiances from our local village side to a bigger and better outfit this season. This means I've hung up my assistant coach boots and am now again just a parent cheering on from the sidelines (or mostly shitting myself, which is what happens when you're the goalie's dad.)

Pre-season has gone well so far. They've had various internal friendlies against other teams in the club. Woody Jnr is playing in the U12's, they took on the U11's (who play Junior Premier League, so are a v good standard), and then the U13's, and beat both 3-1. Then this morning, they played the U14 girls and stuffed them 7-0. Woody Jnr coped very well with the few shots the girls offered up, but excelled himself in playing the sweeper keeper role, tidying up when the taller and quicker girls lumped it forward at any opportunity. He did dribble a few balls out from the back, which he's only learned from playing FIFA, but apart from that it was a job well done.

I thought that was it until next Sunday, which is their first league game, but we've had another friendly arranged at 24 hours' notice. This one's against another really strong U12 team, so will be the truest and toughest test for the boys yet. Match report to follow!

jwvKFhR.png

Cymro84

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⌚ GOALTIME WINNER ⌚
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🏅 BINGO 🏅
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
Credits
Unfortunately, absolutely no sign of grassroots football starting back here :nope:

Cymro84

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⌚ GOALTIME WINNER ⌚
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🏅 BINGO 🏅
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
Credits
On the topic of grassroots football, I was in a webinar in the week regarding the COMET system that will used for all teams from this season, whenever that may be. As part of that, they have developed an app that will work like LiveScore assuming that teams update match events in real time. Means that anyone interested in Welsh football, at any level, will be able to keep up to date.

Travis Bickle

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
🏁 1500 PAGER 🏁
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🏅 LIFETIME AWARD 🏅
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
👌 CARDIFF LEGEND 👌
🔥 500,000th POST 🔥
1 MILLION THREAD VIEWS
$ BANK $
Credits
According to my grandson he reckons that there’s a meeting in two weeks regarding Cardiff parks football restarting

Barry Clunt

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 30 PAGER 🗐
Credits
As far as youth football goes, I believe they will wait till see how things go with the kids going back to school. If we get no significant rise in cases after a couple of weeks or I reckon they’ll allow games to start.

Most mini teams have been training for 3-4 weeks now and playing inter club games so it’s really not going to be much different anyway.

The Colonel

Gaffer
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
👌 1000 PAGER 👌
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
FOURCAST WINNER 21/22
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
$ BANK $
Credits
On the topic of grassroots football, I was in a webinar in the week regarding the COMET system that will used for all teams from this season, whenever that may be. As part of that, they have developed an app that will work like LiveScore assuming that teams update match events in real time. Means that anyone interested in Welsh football, at any level, will be able to keep up to date.
If you get to speak to anyone at comet one day, ask them if they'll do an embeddable widget and I'll put it on here.

Like the Live Table, Live Scores etc widgets we have on here, if you click Live Tables in the navigation bar.

Cymro84

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⌚ GOALTIME WINNER ⌚
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🏅 BINGO 🏅
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
Credits
If you get to speak to anyone at comet one day, ask them if they'll do an embeddable widget and I'll put it on here.

Like the Live Table, Live Scores etc widgets we have on here, if you click Live Tables in the navigation bar.
Will see what I can do :thumbup:

Woody

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Credits
I hadn't factored in the regional variations in what's allowed and what's not. We're fortunate that the kids' league starts again next weekend. Not sure about the adults, but our village team has definitely been playing friendlies already.

Anyway, uPdAte... Junior Woody's game this morning was very tough. Given only 24 hours' notice, we could only raise 9 players, so all ours played a full game whereas the oppo had 4 or 5 subs. And our lot had played 80 minutes yesterday. And the other team were, in all honesty, absolutely mustard. They're attached to a local college and train twice a week with UEFA B coaches. They were like an 11-yr old Man City. We were reduced to Warnockball, lumping the ball up to our lone big, powerful striker. We went in 2-1 down at half-time but tired legs told after the break and the lead was soon 6-1. Route one saw us get a couple back and at 6-3 the opposition were actually starting to get a bit rattled. That didn't last long though and although the boys worked very hard, it finished 8-3.

Not an easy game to watch as the goalie's dad, but Junior Woody could probably only have done better on a couple and it's a good reality check for him: having joined a team of much better players this year, he genuinely thought they were invincible. And thankfully, we won't face teams of this quality when the league starts.

To add insult to injury, I shot straight off from the game to play cricket, and we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, bowling the other side out for 129 (2 wickets for Woody Snr), getting to 80-1 in our innings and then being all out for 112!!!

And I am sporting a couple of nice purple fingers from an attempted caught & bowled.

IMG_6119.jpg

Hartley

Ballon d'Or Winner
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
Credits
I hadn't factored in the regional variations in what's allowed and what's not. We're fortunate that the kids' league starts again next weekend. Not sure about the adults, but our village team has definitely been playing friendlies already.

Anyway, uPdAte... Junior Woody's game this morning was very tough. Given only 24 hours' notice, we could only raise 9 players, so all ours played a full game whereas the oppo had 4 or 5 subs. And our lot had played 80 minutes yesterday. And the other team were, in all honesty, absolutely mustard. They're attached to a local college and train twice a week with UEFA B coaches. They were like an 11-yr old Man City. We were reduced to Warnockball, lumping the ball up to our lone big, powerful striker. We went in 2-1 down at half-time but tired legs told after the break and the lead was soon 6-1. Route one saw us get a couple back and at 6-3 the opposition were actually starting to get a bit rattled. That didn't last long though and although the boys worked very hard, it finished 8-3.

Not an easy game to watch as the goalie's dad, but Junior Woody could probably only have done better on a couple and it's a good reality check for him: having joined a team of much better players this year, he genuinely thought they were invincible. And thankfully, we won't face teams of this quality when the league starts.

To add insult to injury, I shot straight off from the game to play cricket, and we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, bowling the other side out for 129 (2 wickets for Woody Snr), getting to 80-1 in our innings and then being all out for 112!!!

And I am sporting a couple of nice purple fingers from an attempted caught & bowled.

IMG_6119.jpg
Hopefully junior doesn’t have limp fingers like his old man if he’s going to be a goalie.

Glos Blue

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
FOURCAST WINNER 22/23
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
₡ BOOKIES ₡
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
$ BANK $
👂 Trusted Listener 👂
Credits
Glos junior has been back training with his under 11 team for about a month now. They’ve had four friendlies; won the first 3-0, second 2-0, third 2-0 and yesterday stuffed the local whipping boys 12-0 (the other team fielded 11 players to our 9). Junior is happy as he’s the goalie and having 4 clean sheets. To be fair his defenders are outstanding.

It’s been a learning curve for the lads going from 7v7 to 9v9, bigger pitches and larger goals. My lad looks tiny in goal now.

I think I mentioned that he was scouted at a tournament a couple of seasons ago. He had offers of trials with City, Newport and Cheltenham as well as being offered a place within an independent academy. He went to the Cheltenham trial (due to being most local) and we were impressed with the facilities and quality of coaching. We had a meeting with one of the senior coaches but were a little put off by how serious it all was. At the end of the day, he just wants to play football, he doesn’t care at what level. What he doesn’t want is diet plans, having to give up his other sports, not being allowed to go out with his mates on their bikes etc etc. Not to mention the massive financial costs and time burden with training twice a week and a match on weekends. I’m well aware that most clubs see their academies as cash cows.

So he stayed playing grass roots where he plays with his mates and his dad can still (attempt) to coach him.

Opening game of the season next Saturday at home, I’m going for a 3-0 win for the boys. Lump on lads!

stantys tattoos

never sober
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🗐 200 PAGER 🗐
PICKEM 21/22 WINNER
PICKEM 19/20 WINNER
GTA 22/23 WINNER
~LMS Belarus~
₡ BOOKIES ₡
🔥 FIREMAN STANT 🔥
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ JASON PERRY
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Credits
2 future keepers on citys books :warnock:

Woody

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Credits
Hopefully junior doesn’t have limp fingers like his old man if he’s going to be a goalie.

It was like a rocket to be fair. I stuck my hand out instinctively and was almost afraid to look at it after in case my fingers were all over the place :hehe:

Hartley

Ballon d'Or Winner
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
Credits
It was like a rocket to be fair. I stuck my hand out instinctively and was almost afraid to look at it after in case my fingers were all over the place :hehe:
Fuck that. Would have let it go for 4.

Glos Blue

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
FOURCAST WINNER 22/23
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
₡ BOOKIES ₡
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
$ BANK $
👂 Trusted Listener 👂
Credits
2 future keepers on citys books :warnock:
My lad has already got his eye on the Wales number 1 jersey. He worked out that theoretically he could play in the same team as Bale if he makes his debut at about 16. :hehe:
He also qualifies to play for England through his mum and Germany through my old dear.

Baring in mind he was born in, and lived in England all his life, he categorically would never play for them! He quite fancies playing for Germany if the Wales gig doesn’t work out though. :hehe:

stantys tattoos

never sober
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🗐 200 PAGER 🗐
PICKEM 21/22 WINNER
PICKEM 19/20 WINNER
GTA 22/23 WINNER
~LMS Belarus~
₡ BOOKIES ₡
🔥 FIREMAN STANT 🔥
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ JASON PERRY
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Credits
My lad has already got his eye on the Wales number 1 jersey. He worked out that theoretically he could play in the same team as Bale if he makes his debut at about 16. :hehe:
He also qualifies to play for England through his mum and Germany through my old dear.

Baring in mind he was born in, and lived in England all his life, he categorically would never play for them! He quite fancies playing for Germany if the Wales gig doesn’t work out though. :hehe:
:nugehitler:

no serious good luck to him

Woody

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Credits

:hehe:mine is the same, born in Slough and never lived closer to Wales than junction 8/9 on the M4 but wants England to lose at everything!

BLUE TUESDAY

FORUMS ADONIS
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⌚ GOALTIME WINNER ⌚
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
WEED CLUB
Credits
:hehe:mine is the same, born in Slough and never lived closer to Wales than junction 8/9 on the M4 but wants England to lose at everything!

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

stantys tattoos

never sober
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
🗐 200 PAGER 🗐
PICKEM 21/22 WINNER
PICKEM 19/20 WINNER
GTA 22/23 WINNER
~LMS Belarus~
₡ BOOKIES ₡