The latest Labour Farce

Gnasher

Wales Call Up
Reaction score
Reactions
639 10 1
Credits
So why have the left wing governments across Europe failed to be as great as New Zealand then?

It can't possibly be due to different population demographics, geographical factors or far, far less entry points to cover
It's not so much as being as great as New Z. Countries are hard to gauge, it's more not being as terrible as right wing USA, Brazil and the UK, all of which have a dreadful death rate. As a double whammy Britain is expected to be one of the hardest hit countries in the world financially. Our handling of this pandemic has been grim.

QM Redux

Ballon d'Or Winner
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
1,186 104 289
Credits
It's not so much as being as great as New Z. Countries are hard to gauge, it's more not being as terrible as right wing USA, Brazil and the UK, all of which have a dreadful death rate. As a double whammy Britain is expected to be one of the hardest hit countries in the world financially. Our handling of this pandemic has been grim.
And again, you're trying to compare on a like for like basis. Demographics, health all vary. There is also a lack of good method to determine cause of death,

You have heart attack, go to hospital. Contract covid in hospital, but the heart damage kills you. What is the definition of covid related death? Die *because* of covid or die *with* covid?

Who "expects" us to be one of the hardest hit countries in the world, financially.

Gnasher

Wales Call Up
Reaction score
Reactions
639 10 1
Credits
And again, you're trying to compare on a like for like basis. Demographics, health all vary. There is also a lack of good method to determine cause of death,

You have heart attack, go to hospital. Contract covid in hospital, but the heart damage kills you. What is the definition of covid related death? Die *because* of covid or die *with* covid?

Who "expects" us to be one of the hardest hit countries in the world, financially.
My first sentence states "it's hard to gauge contries"

Gnasher

Wales Call Up
Reaction score
Reactions
639 10 1
Credits

QM Redux

Ballon d'Or Winner
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
1,186 104 289
Credits
That would be your response to the fears of the minority populations of Germany in the 30s.?

You know full well my views on that...

If you seem to be comparing Britain today to the culture established within Germany at that time... you're utterly bonkers. Antisemitism was normalised and capitalise upon...

Gnasher

Wales Call Up
Reaction score
Reactions
639 10 1
Credits

QM Redux

Ballon d'Or Winner
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
1,186 104 289
Credits
"People not voting Corbyn were idiots!"
"Democracy"
"HITLER!!!!!!!"

Good grief...

Gnasher

Wales Call Up
Reaction score
Reactions
639 10 1
Credits

If you seem to be comparing Britain today to the culture established within Germany at that time... you're utterly bonkers. Antisemitism was normalised and capitalise upon...
I'm comparing nothing of the sort. I'm comparing your differing reaction to people losing a public vote.

TH63

_______
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
☘☘☘ 300 PAGER ☘☘☘
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
I ❤ KIEFFER MOORE
PICKEM 18/19 - 1st Place
PICKEM World Cup 2nd
Reaction score
Reactions
38,752 1,116 114
Credits

Well hold on a sec, I think he's got a point there.

Hitler didn't come to power by saying "I'm going to kill all the jews and invade Poland"

There had been an economic depression in Germany
Germans had lost faith in their parliament
Politics were divided by the extreme left and the extreme right
Moderate parties weren't a viable option
The chancellor at the time had brought in deeply unpopular austerity measures (any of this sounding familiar yet?)
Hitler exploited this by targeting his political messages specifically at people who had been affected by the inflation of the 1920s and the Depression, such as farmers, war veterans, and the middle class
He came to power after distributing anti-communist propoganda

QM Redux

Ballon d'Or Winner
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
1,186 104 289
Credits

Hitler didn't come to power by saying "I'm going to kill all the jews and invade Poland"

The chancellor at the time had brought in deeply unpopular austerity measures (any of this sounding familiar yet?)
Hitler exploited this by targeting his political messages specifically at people who had been affected by the inflation of the 1920s and the Depression, such as farmers, war veterans, and the middle class
It was a bit more than propaganda though...

I fully agree with your first five points and somewhat of the sixth.

EDIT: A better comparison would've been Trump tbh.

Woody

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
Reaction score
Reactions
6,885 758 11
Credits

This is an interesting post. It's been very easy for years to assume that all the nutters were either back in the 1930's, or in far-flung places like Iraq or Afghanistan. Watching events unfold in the States brought things a lot closer to home, I think. In fact I was only yesterday thinking to myself that Splotty's slavish defence of Corbyn, interest in conspiracies and willingness to pick and choose voting figures that fit his agenda had parallels with the MAGA mindset.

kiffa

(kippa)
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
₡ BOOKIE ₡
🤑£ RICHEST MEMBER £🤑
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
21,214 566 151
Credits
It was a bit more than propaganda though...

I fully agree with your first five points and somewhat of the sixth.

EDIT: A better comparison would've been Trump tbh.
Only it wasn’t really a comparison, more a point of argument

It was your (rather childish) rebuttal that because many people voted one way, Gnasher couldn’t cal them idiots/disagree with them

His point stands, regardless of which majority vote in history he chose to reference. Many many majority elections will fall on the wrong side of history

QM Redux

Ballon d'Or Winner
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
1,186 104 289
Credits
This is an interesting post. It's been very easy for years to assume that all the nutters were either back in the 1930's, or in far-flung places like Iraq or Afghanistan. Watching events unfold in the States brought things a lot closer to home, I think. In fact I was only yesterday thinking to myself that Splotty's slavish defence of Corbyn, interest in conspiracies and willingness to pick and choose voting figures that fit his agenda had parallels with the MAGA mindset.
I'd agree to a point. Comparing Johnson or Trump to Hitler is just ignoring the reality of the times.

The Nazi party gained a modicum of popularity, heavily used violence. Hitler imprisoned, Nazi party had minimal seats. The popularity increased after the Wall Street Crash, which affected the entire world - whilst Hitler was in prison, the German economy had improved.

QM Redux

Ballon d'Or Winner
💛❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼💛
Reaction score
Reactions
1,186 104 289
Credits
Only it wasn’t really a comparison, more a point of argument

It was your (rather childish) rebuttal that because many people voted one way, Gnasher couldn’t cal them idiots/disagree with them

His point stands, regardless of which majority vote in history he chose to reference
No, it's demeaning to call people idiots because they don't vote the way you want them to - and quite frankly, that feeds into the likes of Trump when he plays the anti-establishment card.

If you or others here were in Germany at the time, you'd almost certainly have voted for the Nazi party - why? Antisemitism as all pervasive. Constant propaganda. Constant violence. The seeds were sewn for the Nazi party to gain popularity. In that environment, were those people really idiots?

Gnasher

Wales Call Up
Reaction score
Reactions
639 10 1
Credits
No, it's demeaning to call people idiots because they don't vote the way you want them to - and quite frankly, that feeds into the likes of Trump when he plays the anti-establishment card.

If you or others here were in Germany at the time, you'd almost certainly have voted for the Nazi party - why? Antisemitism as all pervasive. Constant propaganda. Constant violence. The seeds were sewn for the Nazi party to gain popularity. In that environment, were those people really idiots?
I wouldn't have voted for NO fucking nazi party.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now

On the forum