ViewFromAfar

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
Reaction score
Reactions
7,911 35 2
Credits
Anyone heard anything official re the passing of Tony Villars this week? Apparently passed away in his sleep. Older Members will remember him being a popular part of the City's side in the early to mid 70s. Good, busy, nippy player from what I recall.
Apologies if already posted but I havnt seen anything.

tony-villars-jpg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmytaff

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❶ 1 YEAR ❶
~LMS Deutschland~
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Reaction score
Reactions
3,566 714 692
Credits
Anyone heard anything official re the passing of Tony Villars this week? Apparently passed away in his sleep. Older Members will remember him being a popular part of the City's side in the early to mid 70s. Good, busy, nippy player from what I recall.
He must have been decent as I know the name and he was playing long before I started following the City. You've got to have had something about you to live that long in the collective memory

Nugent

Ranked No.5 Poster
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
PICKEM 17/18 - 2nd Place
🏁🏁🏁 50 PAGER 🏁🏁🏁
"Most Normal Person"
Reaction score
Reactions
25,068 3,091 1,187
Credits
@TH63 's season ticket cost just 5 and sixpunce then.
:hehe:

Delboyo

I love my giphys I do
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🏅 MOST OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION 🏅
Reaction score
Reactions
4,304 105 30
Credits

ViewFromAfar

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
Reaction score
Reactions
7,911 35 2
Credits

Who added the pic of malcolm Allison????:sherlock::sherlock:

TDA

fully paid up member of the silent majority
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
Reaction score
Reactions
15,358 662 40
Credits
TOBW has written a piece on him as well, but I remember him breaking into the team. He was tricky, skilful, but a bit lightweight. City produced so many like that .... very promising but never really reaching full potential.

Only good memories of Tony Villars though ..... :bluebird:

TDA

fully paid up member of the silent majority
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
Reaction score
Reactions
15,358 662 40
Credits
There he is back left, next to Derek Showers ....

1599767165103.png

Knees up Brian Clark

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❶ 1 YEAR ❶
🏁🏁🏁 50 PAGER 🏁🏁🏁
Reaction score
Reactions
5,492 694 12
Credits
Tony Villars was spotted playing in the Welsh League for I think Panteg,he joined the City and soon made the first team.Great things where expected of him and l remember reading an article where Ian Gibson no less said he thought Villars could go on to command a £100,000 price tag if he where ever sold.
Highlight of his City career was scoring the equaliser in a relegation battle against Crystal Palace at NP in front of 27,000 fans ,in a final game of the season in which we only needed a point,where Palace needed to win.
He played his last game for us in the promotion season of 75/6 before moving on to Newport county and then eventually back into the Welsh league.
During his time with us he won 3 Welsh caps,but for me his career was proof, if proof was needed that ability alone doesnt guarantee a career in professional football,because although blessed with as much ability as anyone I’ve seen in a City shirt before and with a few exceptions since he lacked the discipline and determination neede to succeed in the professional game

Knees up Brian Clark

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❶ 1 YEAR ❶
🏁🏁🏁 50 PAGER 🏁🏁🏁
Reaction score
Reactions
5,492 694 12
Credits
Tony Villars was spotted playing in the Welsh League for I think Panteg,he joined the City and soon made the first team.Great things where expected of him and l remember reading an article where Ian Gibson no less said he thought Villars could go on to command a £100,000 price tag if he where ever sold.
Highlight of his City career was scoring the equaliser in a relegation battle against Crystal Palace at NP in front of 27,000 fans ,in a final game of the season in which we only needed a point,where Palace needed to win.
He played his last game for us in the promotion season of 75/6 before moving on to Newport county and then eventually back into the Welsh league.
During his time with us he won 3 Welsh caps,but for me his career was proof, if proof was needed that ability alone doesnt guarantee a career in professional football,because although blessed with as much ability as anyone I’ve seen in a City shirt before and with a few exceptions since he lacked the discipline and determination neede to succeed in the professional game
All my own work this:thumbup:

StDavidsWorld

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now