What next for Mark Harris, the Cardiff City kid who finally broke through but now has to scrap for every minute

AI Chat Bot

I answer your questions
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
Credits
The young Bluebirds star struck up a partnership with Kieffer Moore just before Christmas, but has since had to battle for minutes on the pitch

0_GettyImages-1231282895.jpg

There was a noticeable collective reaction when Neil Harris named Mark Harris in his team for Cardiff City's must-win game against Luton Town back at the start of December.

Eyebrows were raised around the press box and there were murmurs of it being the last roll of the dice, while social media was rife with Bluebirds fans who could not make heads nor tails of the decision.

It was a huge game for the then City manager, whose job was under threat following a poor run of results, and it was telling he plumped for Welsh youth international Harris up front over the £5.5m Robert Glatzel, who was left to watch on from the bench.

After Sean Morrison had opened the scoring early to put some minds at ease, the second big chance of the match dropped to Harris, who stopped the ball in its tracks before rifling it into the bottom corner.

When Neil Harris was posed the question after the match why he hadn't played before, the manager simply laughed almost in disbelief. It's not as easy as that. Not often do those sorts of gambles pay off, even though in hindsight it turned out to be the right call.

The point here is that in a fiercely competitive squad and division, it is all too rare that these youngsters break through, make an immediate impact and their careers are plain sailing from thereon.

Harris made his stamp with that first goal, before striking up an effective partnership with Kieffer Moore over the course of those six games of brief respite. But as Cardiff's form dipped, Mark Harris' influence waned, largely, of course, because that partnership with Moore was broken up due to the Wales striker's injury.

When Mick McCarthy took charge in January, the dynamic had changed. Cardiff had signed prolific League Two striker Max Watters, who had emerged as one of the hottest prospects in the country after his start at Crawley this season.

Robert Glatzel was shipped out on loan, but that did not lessen the competition for places, because McCarthy's change in system saw wingers Josh Murphy and Sheyi Ojo utilised as strikers.

Consequently, Harris was tasked with a watching brief. He has played just three times under Mick McCarthy, all second-half substitute appearances.

But the two goals he has scored have been of the highest order. The first was borne of tremendous pressing against Preston, which forced the defender into a mistake before he rounded the keeper and slotted home.

The second was last weekend against Birmingham City, when he emphatically drilled a half volley into the bottom corner from 20 yards to seal all three points.

Although he has only seen glimpses, McCarthy has taken note. In fact, the instruction for Harris now is to keep taking those opportunities, however few and far between they might be.

"It is vitally important when they come on to take their chances," McCarthy said.

"I'm not going to demean the fact he came on and scored, but coming on and scoring in a 4-0 is different to getting that winner, to being there when you win 1-0 having started the game.

"Nevertheless it was a great strike. The keeper had made a good save off him just before that as well.

"We've been trying to get him in there, that six-yard box and second six-yard box, me and TC. But when he has come on he has looked lively.

"It's vital when you get your chance you take it."

All three of Harris' goals this season have come in 4-0 wins. But perhaps there is merit in what McCarthy is saying; being the player who makes the difference is vastly different to being the one who adds more sparkle to an already glittering display.

Quite what next season has in store for him is something of a mystery at the minute. There is little doubt that Mick McCarthy wants to add a striker this summer, potentially even two if Kieffer Moore is prised away, meaning competition will likely only get fiercer.

Whether Harris is seen as a player who can evolve to become a mainstay up front is very much up in the air, but all he can do at the minute is keep taking his chances. He rolled his ankle this week but it is thought he will be fine for the Rotherham game on Saturday afternoon.

He has shown his ability in front of goal this season, and will hope to continue that against the Millers, but perhaps needs to affect it when it comes to crunch time. The stall has been set out by McCarthy.

The club have an option to extend his contract until next season, but the future beyond that is still to be determined. But McCarthy, who confirmed the club have started negotiations over a new deal for the young striker, has not ruled out a loan spell for Harris next term.

"We are currently discussing a new contract, so whatever happens he will be here next year," the manager added.

"I would prefer it if he signed and he is happy with it.

"If he doesn't play in the first team then we can loan him out."

NumberAde

Ballon d'Or Winner
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
✪✪✪ CHAMPION ✪✪✪
PICKEM 20/21 WINNER
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
💩 CRAP JOKE 2022 💩
Credits
TOugh love from Mick there. :hehe:

I thought to see a young lad who was out of favour, come back into the team and get a goal was really positive.

Malarkey

Ballon d'Or Winner
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
☘ 100 PAGER ☘
🎰 HIGHEST ROLLER 🎰
£ RICHEST MEMBER £
💰 BIGGEST WIN 💰
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
GTA 21/22 WINNER
Credits
Rather have him than Cameron Jerrome:nqat:

Martin John

Ballon d'Or Winner
❺ 5 YEARS ❺
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
Credits
Didn’t think he had it at this level after his loan spells but he’s starting to prove me wrong. Looked decent in his last few cameos, there’s definitely a player there.

Jimmytaff

Sir Jim, Earl of Llandaf
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
~LMS Deutschland~
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ KEV MCNAUGHTON
I ❤ BRIAN CLARK
I ❤ JASON PERRY
I ❤ ISAAK DAVIES
I ❤ RUBIN COLWILL
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
Didn’t think he had it at this level after his loan spells but he’s starting to prove me wrong. Looked decent in his last few cameos, there’s definitely a player there.
Agreed. The first goal was quite lucky as I recall but his second and third showed a bit more class and suggest he has the potential for a decent career [not sure what level yet]

Capt.Darling

Player of the Month
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
Credits
I think he won't be given much game time, will be stay until Jan and then be shipped out on loan .

QM Redux

Banned
Ballon d'Or Winner
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
Credits
Rather have him than Cameron Jerrome:nqat:

Moore out injured. Harris or Jerome? No brainer, Jerome has more physical presence.

Harris did nothing at Newport or Wrexham let's not forget. Given a one year deal and he's played how may times when he's been third striker?

I just don't think he's championship quality.

Activity
No activity at the moment...

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now