Cardiff City Youth and Harris

QuantumMechanic

Wales Regular
Reaction score
Reactions
510 185 11
Credits
We've heard the talk from Harris, wants youth coming through etc but is that necessarily the case?

Taz Nayembe, bigged up by Harris, given contract, put on first team bench same day. Disappeared from view, certainly wasn't with first team squad this pre-season.

Tom Sang has impressed with energy when he's played - nowhere to be seen Saturday, Harris instead settling for same old, experienced bench.

So, will Harris live up to his words? I don't think youth should be put on the bench purely for the sake of it, but does anyone think we'll see any on the bench this season?

BLUE TUESDAY

FORUMS ADONIS
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⌚ GOALTIME WINNER ⌚
I ❤ NEIL HARRIS
WEED CLUB
Reaction score
Reactions
10,557 175 8
Credits
We've heard the talk from Harris, wants youth coming through etc but is that necessarily the case?

Taz Nayembe, bigged up by Harris, given contract, put on first team bench same day. Disappeared from view, certainly wasn't with first team squad this pre-season.

Tom Sang has impressed with energy when he's played - nowhere to be seen Saturday, Harris instead settling for same old, experienced bench.

So, will Harris live up to his words? I don't think youth should be put on the bench purely for the sake of it, but does anyone think we'll see any on the bench this season?

i deff think youth shouldnt be on the bench just for the sake of it ,
tbh mate , with Tony Montna sacked , he needs replacing by someone of a better or at least equal standard
if we was still in the league cup , id say yes they would , possibly starting for some
the next time we will wil be 3rd round of the fa cup

QuantumMechanic

Wales Regular
Reaction score
Reactions
510 185 11
Credits
I'd like a rule to be that you can have another payer on the bench but have to be from Academy. Would imo help the transition for some players.

Yesterday we had Pack and Paterson on the bench. Sang has looked decent when he's played, so was surprised he wasn't on the bench.

If the only opportunity some of them will have will be in cups, then I can see some getting de-motivated.

BLUE TUESDAY

FORUMS ADONIS
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⌚ GOALTIME WINNER ⌚
I ❤ NEIL HARRIS
WEED CLUB
Reaction score
Reactions
10,557 175 8
Credits
I'd like a rule to be that you can have another payer on the bench but have to be from Academy. Would imo help the transition for some players.

Yesterday we had Pack and Paterson on the bench. Sang has looked decent when he's played, so was surprised he wasn't on the bench.

If the only opportunity some of them will have will be in cups, then I can see some getting de-motivated.
its going to motivate you if there isn an incentive
thts gotta be true

TDA

fully paid up member of the silent majority
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
Reaction score
Reactions
15,458 662 40
Credits
I have always expressed my doubts in the value of academies for the PL and Championship clubs. I believe money would be far better spent investing in scouting network and developing relationships with more junior / feeder clubs.

QuantumMechanic

Wales Regular
Reaction score
Reactions
510 185 11
Credits
That too - when the best clubs you can loan players out to are WPL, non-league that tends to indicate the players aren't that good.

kiffa

(kippa)
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
₡ BOOKIE ₡
🏁🏁🏁 50 PAGER 🏁🏁🏁
Reaction score
Reactions
14,943 462 135
Credits
I have always expressed my doubts in the value of academies for the PL and Championship clubs. I believe money would be far better spent investing in scouting network and developing relationships with more junior / feeder clubs.
You could have your adacamies and then develop relationships with lower clubs for loan preference I suppose

The only problem with that though is you don’t want to restrict the lower clubs ability to grow. I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with the lower clubs being seen as the contractual subordinate where the larger club can just take the starlets whenever it suits

QuantumMechanic

Wales Regular
Reaction score
Reactions
510 185 11
Credits
You could have your adacamies and then develop relationships with lower clubs for loan preference I suppose

The only problem with that though is you don’t want to restrict the lower clubs ability to grow. I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with the lower clubs being seen as the contractual subordinate where the larger club can just take the starlets whenever it suits
There are lower league sides that have never got into Championship and probably never will. Should they overpay in the hope of promoting or continue their existence as now, as a feeder side?

TDA

fully paid up member of the silent majority
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
Reaction score
Reactions
15,458 662 40
Credits
There are lower league sides that have never got into Championship and probably never will. Should they overpay in the hope of promoting or continue their existence as now, as a feeder side?
I would envisage a financial arrangement whereby the Championship club would supplement the running of a junior academy with benefits for both clubs.

Travis Bickle

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
👌👌👌 1000 PAGER 👌👌👌
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🏅 LIFETIME
ACHIEVEMENT 🏅
I ❤ NEIL HARRIS
🔥 500,000th POST 🔥
Reaction score
Reactions
73,609 729 51
Credits

Glos Blue

Banned
Lesbian converter
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🏅 FUNNIEST PHOTO 🏅
🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐
PICKEM 17/18 - 3rd Place
Reaction score
Reactions
16,663 227 32
Credits

BSP

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Reaction score
Reactions
15,305 243 27
Credits
Found his level.
He’s looked a decent player the few times I’ve seen him, but he’s 21, and if he is not interesting teams higher than the 7th tier then why are we keeping hold of him?

stantys tattoos

never sober
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❶ 1 YEAR ❶
PICKEM 19/20 WINNER
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
~LMS Belarus~
😈 Prince of Darkness 😈
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
42,183 1,300 72
Credits
He’s looked a decent player the few times I’ve seen him, but he’s 21, and if he is not interesting teams higher than the 7th tier then why are we keeping hold of him?
their manager thought he would join a league team

BSP

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Reaction score
Reactions
15,305 243 27
Credits
their manager thought he would join a league team
But he would say that wouldn’t he, bigs himself up for signing him and makes the fans think the player really does actually want to be playing for Weston super Mare.

stantys tattoos

never sober
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❶ 1 YEAR ❶
PICKEM 19/20 WINNER
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
~LMS Belarus~
😈 Prince of Darkness 😈
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
42,183 1,300 72
Credits
But he would say that wouldn’t he, bigs himself up for signing him and makes the fans think the player really does actually want to be playing for Weston super Mare.
good point but 13 goals in 19 games is impressive but as others have said maybe he has found his level. obviously nobody in the league where prepared to take a chance on him. i can see mark harris going out on loan again as well tbh

BSP

Ballon d'Or Winner
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
❷ 2 YEARS ❷
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
Reaction score
Reactions
15,305 243 27
Credits
good point but 13 goals in 19 games is impressive but as others have said maybe he has found his level. obviously nobody in the league where prepared to take a chance on him. i can see mark harris going out on loan again as well tbh
This is what NH said the other week -

"We've signed Mark Harris and Tom Sang on new contracts for next season, which will really help their development.

"We've brought in a senior, established Championship striker in Kieffer Moore, but are also continuing to show faith in the younger players coming through.
"

How are we showing faith in the youngsters? What evidence have we seen of that? Sang gets 20 mins in the league cup when we’re already 3-0 down, no other ‘youngsters’ get on the pitch, and along with Harris fails to make the bench last week, along with any other ‘youngsters’.

stantys tattoos

never sober
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❶ 1 YEAR ❶
PICKEM 19/20 WINNER
☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘
~LMS Belarus~
😈 Prince of Darkness 😈
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Reaction score
Reactions
42,183 1,300 72
Credits
This is what NH said the other week -

"We've signed Mark Harris and Tom Sang on new contracts for next season, which will really help their development.

"We've brought in a senior, established Championship striker in Kieffer Moore, but are also continuing to show faith in the younger players coming through.
"

How are we showing faith in the youngsters? What evidence have we seen of that? Sang gets 20 mins in the league cup when we’re already 3-0 down, no other ‘youngsters’ get on the pitch, and along with Harris fails to make the bench last week, along with any other ‘youngsters’.
what i've heard sang might be the only one to get a chance but the rest :nope:

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now

On the forum