Coyote's 23/24 Season Player Ratings

Coyote

Youth Squad
Credits
Well, another season is in the books, and another season in the Championship awaits us next year, thankfully much more closer for comfort this time with a commendable mid-table finish coming off the heels of a transfer embargo and a dependency on loans. Our performances definitely reflect our final position, with some major ups and downs throughout the season.

To give a sense of where we should be going from here on forward, I though a player rankings list would be a good way to process my thoughts. Of course, there will be indubitably be disagreements, and that's fine, but I just felt like sharing my personal thoughts about the individual performances throughout the entire season. I'll be sticking to a 5 appearances minimum role, so a few players will miss out (lol Jack Simpson), because I don't feel there's enough there to judge them off of.

Without further ado, here are my player ratings.

Goalkeepers:

Alnwick:
I actually think Alnwick could be considered a sleeper candidate for player of the year, and the main reason he isn't is due to his phasing out for Horvath in the second half of the season. Plenty of excellent and dedicated performances that saved us points in some games and prevented embarrassing losses in others. Felt a bit bad when Horvath took his starting role, but he absolutely stepped up and gave his best for the club. 8/10

Runarsson:
Conversely, I think Runarsson was simply not good enough at this level. There were absolutely a few examples where points and games were lost due to a poor performance, and he didn't do enough to show any quality over Alnwick. Whilst not horrifically awful, and many of the goals were ones I wouldn't expect anyone to save, he absolutely left a lot to be desired. 4/10.

Horvath:
Horvath is perhaps our best piece of business this season. A goalkeeper who has proven his quality in the Championship by being on promotion winning sides twice now, it was a bit much to ask for a threepeat, Horvath absolutely delivered and gave us some wonderful saves and very few genuinely poor performances. If Alnwick can be retained for next season, I have the utmost faith in our keepers next season. 8/10

Defenders:

McGuinness:
McGuinness has always been a dependable force in a Cardiff shirt, and this season was no exception. Some standout performances, particularly against the Jacks at home, at the Stadium of Light, and both games against Watford. Conversely, very few games where he could be considered less than average. The injury was unfortunate, but hopefully will not kill his momentum when he returns, hopefully for us. 7/10

Wilson-Esbrand:
An exciting young player from Manchester City who tended to play more of an offensive wing position rather than a wing-back role and a great ability to hold the ball. Plenty of room for him to grow as a player and showed a lot of potential in spurts. Would not be opposed to getting on a permanent and need to see more of him. 6/10

Ng:
The official player of the season for the team, and it's not hard to see why. A solid defensive presence combined with an outstanding offensive presence that even many Premier League level teams would be envious of, and likely makes him a wanted man. A joint top goalscorer and joint second in assists, Ng has established himself as perhaps the best right-back in the league alongside Southampton's Walker-Peters. The rating isn't higher only because there were occasional issues with consistency regarding defensive work. 8/10 and POTS

Philips:
Philips has won a lot of fans over in his short time here, and he's demonstrated a good work ethic and some excellent defensive plays. Whilst not every game has been wonderful (Hull comes to mind), he's successfully shut down a lot of goal scoring opportunities single-handedly. Seriously worth the consideration for a permanent deal if the price is right. 7/10

Goutas:
Goutas was a bit of an enigma when arriving here last summer, but has shown relative consistency as a starting centre-back throughout the entire season with a sturdy tackle. Whilst perhaps not as work-rate heavy as McGuinness and Philips, Goutas has made up for it with an excellent ability to secure goals through aerial set-pieces with his head, securing us much needed points. A good hand instrumental in some very important moments. 7/10

Panzo:
I honestly forgot this guy even played for us. Came in with a fair degree of fanfare, but between Goutas and McGuinness being pretty much unreplaceable for the first half of the season, and poor performances when he did appear, it was absolutely the best decision to give him back to Forest. Very underwhelming, but a lot of it wasn't his fault to be fair. 3/10

Romeo:
Romeo, oh Romeo! Being a backup defender is never fun, but when given the opportunity, he sadly couldn't deliver and got bullied perpetually by wingers throughout the season. To be fair, this is somewhat expected of a backup defender, and not every performance was necessarily bad, but he left very little impression despite low expectations and probably should be moved on. 4/10

Collins:
Collins is a very interesting player to talk about. Having sat in the Grandstand for a few games this season, I got to see Collins up close and I can definitely notice he puts in the effort and does whatever he can to be an attacking and defensive presence. But on top of living within Ng's shadow, Collins sadly, from a pure skill perspective, falls a little short for Championship level. The effort is commendable, however, but maybe not a starter for next season. 5/10

Midfielders:

Wintle:
I really don't know what to make of Wintle. There are some games where he's outstanding and he absolutely makes a difference, and has even won us points on more than one occasion. There are other times where he's less than a non-factor and actively dragging the team down. I think, ultimately, we need someone more consistent ala Ralls. Moments of greatness, but not enough to offset the bad. 5/10

Turnbull:
Cardiff's biggest signing this January, Turnbull left after a strong spell at Celtic, but so far, has yet to really live up to the expectations on the whole. I don't think this is through a lack of working hard, but I think Colwill holding his preferred position as attacking midfielder has impacted this somewhat. It's definitely too early to judge Turnbull as either a success or a failure though. Next season will be the real test. 5/10

Siopis:
For the first half of the season, Siopis was an absolute monster, a Terminator with an outstanding, tireless work-rate that did everything to shut down attacks, a surefire POTS performance. But then, things fell off. Not to a horrific degree, and you get the sense he was always trying, but for some reason, the stamina and defensive presence wasn't quite the same. But this was a positive first season for the Greek veteran in the club. 7/10

O'Dowda:
A stunning start to the season was cruelly stalled by a long-term injury that left him out for months. When he returned, he certainly showed quality in his substitute appearances, but wasn't really given enough starts afterwards due to more injuries. A very unlucky season, but the performances were mostly strong. 6/10

Ralls:
Ralls's reliability is his greatest asset. There's honestly not a lot to say here, another season of meeting expectations and being a great servant to the club, as usual, and being an integral part of the midfield. 7/10

Ramsey:
Ramsey is a little difficult to rank. Based strictly on his performances, work ethic, gamesense and role in the team, he's easily an 8 in the games he's played. But can you really give an 8 to a player who has been injured most of the season? I don't think I can. Top quality player when available, but sadly not available enough to be as massive an impact as expected. 7/10

R. Colwill:
Absolutely deserving of the breakout star of the season, and a very important piece of the puzzle that is our team, but I feel might be slightly overhyped by some. This is not a knock at Rubin, he's only 22 and has plenty of room to grow as a player; he's not reached his peak yet. Things will absolutely get better. But I'm judging based on current performances rather than the future. A good player already, and the potential to be great. 7/10

Sawyers:
Apparently played 8 games for us this season. All I remember was a bad performance against Blackburn in the Carabao Cup. Absolutely should be moved on. 3/10

Adams:
Another player I completely forgot played for us and had basically no real impact in the games he did play. 3/10

Ashford:
Ashford, like the Colwills, is a player with bags of potential and in a short time, has demonstrated excellent attacking prowess, with a wonderful performance against a veteran Southampton team and good performances elsewhere. Could absolutely start for us next season. 7/10

J. Colwill:
Apparently played 5 games for us this season including his bench appearances. Looked good when he appeared, but obviously not enough to give a high rating. That's fine, another one for the future. 6/10

Attackers:

Grant:
Now Grant is an interesting one. Grant's greatest asset is his attitude and work-rate, which has been noticeable throughout the entire season, seeing us through some tough games and even in poor team performances, has been one of the better players on the pitch, very rarely handing a bad performance himself. I would not be averse to making him a permanent signing if he can promise the same performances next season. 7/10

(I accidentally submitted the thread too early, the rest of the ratings will be added shortly)

Popeye

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
💰 JACKPOT! 💰
❶ 1 YEAR ❶
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
₡ BOOKIES ₡
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Credits
7 is generous for Rambo, he was good in the handful of games he played at the start of the season but anonymous in the handful he played recently, I wouldn’t give him anything more than a 5 which is a shame.

TDA

The Fun Police
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
🏆 GOLD VIP 🏆
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲
💰 JACKPOT! 💰
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
🗐 200 PAGER 🗐
🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Credits
7 is generous for Rambo, he was good in the handful of games he played at the start of the season but anonymous in the handful he played recently, I wouldn’t give him anything more than a 5 which is a shame.
Absolutely :thumbup:

Coyote

Youth Squad
Credits
Ugbo: Ugbo made for a good goal-poacher and like Wintle, he absolutely had his moments of brilliance. And I'm happy his Wednesday loan has worked out. But just didn't have the work-rate or pace needed in our system. 5/10

Robinson:
Let's be blunt: This was an awful season for Robinson. Supposedly a poor attitude and mediocre at best performances throughout the entire season after fair expectations were placed on him from a good start last season. Huddersfield and Norwich were very good performances, but the bad attitude is seemingly a nail in his coffin for his Cardiff career. 3/10

Bowler:
Bowler might have been the most controversial player for us this season. A lot of playing the ball back and a lack of confidence in creating many opportunities drew a lot of ire, but much like Wintle and Ugbo, had some excellent moments that make his time here not a complete failure. Probably not what we're looking for permanently though. 5/10

Meite:
Meite was considered a cult hero by Reading, and a free transfer was seen as a bargain for us. And to his credit, his wing work against Southampton was very strong. But as a central forward...mon dieu, it wasn't good. It wasn't through a lack of trying, but the centre forward role might as well have been vacant at times. 3/10

Etete:
Simply put, not good enough for this level, despite being given a lot of opportunities. Did get more goals than Meite and Diedhiou combined, which is something. 3/10

Tanner:
Tanner has had an up and down season, much like Cardiff themselves. He was hero of the month for his spectacular goal against Swansea, and had a few more individual performances, but mostly felt a little outclassed at this level, at least at this current stage. Still young, and still room for his game to improve however. 5/10

Diedhiou:
Somehow made Meite look like Erling Haaland. Absolute non-entity in almost every game he played. Completely past it. 2/10

Bonus:

Bulut:
Let's put things in perspective: Last season, we should have been relegated if not for Reading's misfortunes. League One would have been horrific; who wants to play Port Vale and Fleetwood. Bulut has taken a team that realistically should have been down with Rotherham and made us a mid-table team that can take points off some excellent teams. If it wasn't for Jack Simpson vs Leicester, we would have taken points off all of the top four teams this season. The problem is consistency, and perhaps pessimism, but Bulut has given Cardiff the baseplate to work from and continue to move forward in a positive direction. The pressure will absolutely be on next season, but the rewards could potentially be massive. A steady hand not afraid to speak his mind that has righted a previously sinking ship. 7/10

@Popeye The Hull game at CCS was an example where he made a really positive difference in a subtle way. Moved the ball forward unlike everyone else on the pitch at the time sans Grant and made us an attacking threat when we were initially being dominated. I think there's absolutely a leadership role he played in his games that deserves a lot of credit. I think 6 is a fair rating though.

Jimmytaff

Sir Jim, Earl of Llandaf
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❹ 4 YEARS ❹
~LMS Deutschland~
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
Credits
Ugbo: Ugbo made for a good goal-poacher and like Wintle, he absolutely had his moments of brilliance. And I'm happy his Wednesday loan has worked out. But just didn't have the work-rate or pace needed in our system. 5/10

Robinson:
Let's be blunt: This was an awful season for Robinson. Supposedly a poor attitude and mediocre at best performances throughout the entire season after fair expectations were placed on him from a good start last season. Huddersfield and Norwich were very good performances, but the bad attitude is seemingly a nail in his coffin for his Cardiff career. 3/10

Bowler:
Bowler might have been the most controversial player for us this season. A lot of playing the ball back and a lack of confidence in creating many opportunities drew a lot of ire, but much like Wintle and Ugbo, had some excellent moments that make his time here not a complete failure. Probably not what we're looking for permanently though. 5/10

Meite:
Meite was considered a cult hero by Reading, and a free transfer was seen as a bargain for us. And to his credit, his wing work against Southampton was very strong. But as a central forward...mon dieu, it wasn't good. It wasn't through a lack of trying, but the centre forward role might as well have been vacant at times. 3/10

Etete:
Simply put, not good enough for this level, despite being given a lot of opportunities. Did get more goals than Meite and Diedhiou combined, which is something. 3/10

Tanner:
Tanner has had an up and down season, much like Cardiff themselves. He was hero of the month for his spectacular goal against Swansea, and had a few more individual performances, but mostly felt a little outclassed at this level, at least at this current stage. Still young, and still room for his game to improve however. 5/10

Diedhiou:
Somehow made Meite look like Erling Haaland. Absolute non-entity in almost every game he played. Completely past it. 2/10

Bonus:

Bulut:
Let's put things in perspective: Last season, we should have been relegated if not for Reading's misfortunes. League One would have been horrific; who wants to play Port Vale and Fleetwood. Bulut has taken a team that realistically should have been down with Rotherham and made us a mid-table team that can take points off some excellent teams. If it wasn't for Jack Simpson vs Leicester, we would have taken points off all of the top four teams this season. The problem is consistency, and perhaps pessimism, but Bulut has given Cardiff the baseplate to work from and continue to move forward in a positive direction. The pressure will absolutely be on next season, but the rewards could potentially be massive. A steady hand not afraid to speak his mind that has righted a previously sinking ship. 7/10

@Popeye The Hull game at CCS was an example where he made a really positive difference in a subtle way. Moved the ball forward unlike everyone else on the pitch at the time sans Grant and made us an attacking threat when we were initially being dominated. I think there's absolutely a leadership role he played in his games that deserves a lot of credit. I think 6 is a fair rating though.
I feel you've been a bit harsh on Etete but otherwise I'd say your scores are generally pretty fair

Nugent

***Top 10 poster***
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
₡ BOOKIES ₡
🏁 50 PAGER 🏁
🚗 MARIO KLARTS 🚗
Credits
Well, another season is in the books, and another season in the Championship awaits us next year, thankfully much more closer for comfort this time with a commendable mid-table finish coming off the heels of a transfer embargo and a dependency on loans. Our performances definitely reflect our final position, with some major ups and downs throughout the season.

To give a sense of where we should be going from here on forward, I though a player rankings list would be a good way to process my thoughts. Of course, there will be indubitably be disagreements, and that's fine, but I just felt like sharing my personal thoughts about the individual performances throughout the entire season. I'll be sticking to a 5 appearances minimum role, so a few players will miss out (lol Jack Simpson), because I don't feel there's enough there to judge them off of.

Without further ado, here are my player ratings.

Goalkeepers:

Alnwick:
I actually think Alnwick could be considered a sleeper candidate for player of the year, and the main reason he isn't is due to his phasing out for Horvath in the second half of the season. Plenty of excellent and dedicated performances that saved us points in some games and prevented embarrassing losses in others. Felt a bit bad when Horvath took his starting role, but he absolutely stepped up and gave his best for the club. 8/10

Runarsson:
Conversely, I think Runarsson was simply not good enough at this level. There were absolutely a few examples where points and games were lost due to a poor performance, and he didn't do enough to show any quality over Alnwick. Whilst not horrifically awful, and many of the goals were ones I wouldn't expect anyone to save, he absolutely left a lot to be desired. 4/10.

Horvath:
Horvath is perhaps our best piece of business this season. A goalkeeper who has proven his quality in the Championship by being on promotion winning sides twice now, it was a bit much to ask for a threepeat, Horvath absolutely delivered and gave us some wonderful saves and very few genuinely poor performances. If Alnwick can be retained for next season, I have the utmost faith in our keepers next season. 8/10

Defenders:

McGuinness:
McGuinness has always been a dependable force in a Cardiff shirt, and this season was no exception. Some standout performances, particularly against the Jacks at home, at the Stadium of Light, and both games against Watford. Conversely, very few games where he could be considered less than average. The injury was unfortunate, but hopefully will not kill his momentum when he returns, hopefully for us. 7/10

Wilson-Esbrand:
An exciting young player from Manchester City who tended to play more of an offensive wing position rather than a wing-back role and a great ability to hold the ball. Plenty of room for him to grow as a player and showed a lot of potential in spurts. Would not be opposed to getting on a permanent and need to see more of him. 6/10

Ng:
The official player of the season for the team, and it's not hard to see why. A solid defensive presence combined with an outstanding offensive presence that even many Premier League level teams would be envious of, and likely makes him a wanted man. A joint top goalscorer and joint second in assists, Ng has established himself as perhaps the best right-back in the league alongside Southampton's Walker-Peters. The rating isn't higher only because there were occasional issues with consistency regarding defensive work. 8/10 and POTS

Philips:
Philips has won a lot of fans over in his short time here, and he's demonstrated a good work ethic and some excellent defensive plays. Whilst not every game has been wonderful (Hull comes to mind), he's successfully shut down a lot of goal scoring opportunities single-handedly. Seriously worth the consideration for a permanent deal if the price is right. 7/10

Goutas:
Goutas was a bit of an enigma when arriving here last summer, but has shown relative consistency as a starting centre-back throughout the entire season with a sturdy tackle. Whilst perhaps not as work-rate heavy as McGuinness and Philips, Goutas has made up for it with an excellent ability to secure goals through aerial set-pieces with his head, securing us much needed points. A good hand instrumental in some very important moments. 7/10

Panzo:
I honestly forgot this guy even played for us. Came in with a fair degree of fanfare, but between Goutas and McGuinness being pretty much unreplaceable for the first half of the season, and poor performances when he did appear, it was absolutely the best decision to give him back to Forest. Very underwhelming, but a lot of it wasn't his fault to be fair. 3/10

Romeo:
Romeo, oh Romeo! Being a backup defender is never fun, but when given the opportunity, he sadly couldn't deliver and got bullied perpetually by wingers throughout the season. To be fair, this is somewhat expected of a backup defender, and not every performance was necessarily bad, but he left very little impression despite low expectations and probably should be moved on. 4/10

Collins:
Collins is a very interesting player to talk about. Having sat in the Grandstand for a few games this season, I got to see Collins up close and I can definitely notice he puts in the effort and does whatever he can to be an attacking and defensive presence. But on top of living within Ng's shadow, Collins sadly, from a pure skill perspective, falls a little short for Championship level. The effort is commendable, however, but maybe not a starter for next season. 5/10

Midfielders:

Wintle:
I really don't know what to make of Wintle. There are some games where he's outstanding and he absolutely makes a difference, and has even won us points on more than one occasion. There are other times where he's less than a non-factor and actively dragging the team down. I think, ultimately, we need someone more consistent ala Ralls. Moments of greatness, but not enough to offset the bad. 5/10

Turnbull:
Cardiff's biggest signing this January, Turnbull left after a strong spell at Celtic, but so far, has yet to really live up to the expectations on the whole. I don't think this is through a lack of working hard, but I think Colwill holding his preferred position as attacking midfielder has impacted this somewhat. It's definitely too early to judge Turnbull as either a success or a failure though. Next season will be the real test. 5/10

Siopis:
For the first half of the season, Siopis was an absolute monster, a Terminator with an outstanding, tireless work-rate that did everything to shut down attacks, a surefire POTS performance. But then, things fell off. Not to a horrific degree, and you get the sense he was always trying, but for some reason, the stamina and defensive presence wasn't quite the same. But this was a positive first season for the Greek veteran in the club. 7/10

O'Dowda:
A stunning start to the season was cruelly stalled by a long-term injury that left him out for months. When he returned, he certainly showed quality in his substitute appearances, but wasn't really given enough starts afterwards due to more injuries. A very unlucky season, but the performances were mostly strong. 6/10

Ralls:
Ralls's reliability is his greatest asset. There's honestly not a lot to say here, another season of meeting expectations and being a great servant to the club, as usual, and being an integral part of the midfield. 7/10

Ramsey:
Ramsey is a little difficult to rank. Based strictly on his performances, work ethic, gamesense and role in the team, he's easily an 8 in the games he's played. But can you really give an 8 to a player who has been injured most of the season? I don't think I can. Top quality player when available, but sadly not available enough to be as massive an impact as expected. 7/10

R. Colwill:
Absolutely deserving of the breakout star of the season, and a very important piece of the puzzle that is our team, but I feel might be slightly overhyped by some. This is not a knock at Rubin, he's only 22 and has plenty of room to grow as a player; he's not reached his peak yet. Things will absolutely get better. But I'm judging based on current performances rather than the future. A good player already, and the potential to be great. 7/10

Sawyers:
Apparently played 8 games for us this season. All I remember was a bad performance against Blackburn in the Carabao Cup. Absolutely should be moved on. 3/10

Adams:
Another player I completely forgot played for us and had basically no real impact in the games he did play. 3/10

Ashford:
Ashford, like the Colwills, is a player with bags of potential and in a short time, has demonstrated excellent attacking prowess, with a wonderful performance against a veteran Southampton team and good performances elsewhere. Could absolutely start for us next season. 7/10

J. Colwill:
Apparently played 5 games for us this season including his bench appearances. Looked good when he appeared, but obviously not enough to give a high rating. That's fine, another one for the future. 6/10

Attackers:

Grant:
Now Grant is an interesting one. Grant's greatest asset is his attitude and work-rate, which has been noticeable throughout the entire season, seeing us through some tough games and even in poor team performances, has been one of the better players on the pitch, very rarely handing a bad performance himself. I would not be averse to making him a permanent signing if he can promise the same performances next season. 7/10

(I accidentally submitted the thread too early, the rest of the ratings will be added shortly)
Do you like riding bikes mate?

Dr. Graham Gaylord Lecter

Forum Poofter
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
👑 FORUM KING 👑
❻ 6 YEARS ❻
😈 Prince of Darkness 😈
🖕 FUCK THE TORIES! 🖕
🗐 10 PAGER 🗐
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ KEV MCNAUGHTON
I ❤ BRIAN CLARK
I ❤ JASON PERRY
I ❤ JOEL BAGAN
I ❤ ISAAK DAVIES
I ❤ RUBIN COLWILL
I ❤ NG
DALMAN & CHOO OUT!
WEED CLUB
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
🐺 WOLFPACK 🐺
Credits
Wintle: There are some games where he’s outstanding… moments of greatness.

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

Popeye

Ballon d'Or Winner
⭐ PLATINUM VIP ⭐
💎 DIAMOND VIP 💎
⚽ MODERATOR ⚽
💰 JACKPOT! 💰
❶ 1 YEAR ❶
❸ 3 YEARS ❸
₡ BOOKIES ₡
❼ WHITTINGHAM ❼
I ❤ NG
🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺
$ BANK $
Credits

Robinson:

Bowler:

Meite:

Etete:

Tanner:

Diedhiou:

Bonus:

Bulut:

Again, harsh on Tanner who I think has actually done quite well this season, I want to say he’s one of very few players who want to actually attack.
In fact, I can’t think of anyone else other than sick note O’Dowda and Grant.

Robinson getting a 3 too, ffs. If you’re giving Meite a 3, who has actually contributed and put his fat arse about at times (although poorly overall) then Robinson should be -3.

Activity
No activity at the moment...

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or register in seconds
with your social account
Don't have an account? Register now